General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Virgin.net

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron2

Ron2 Report 27 Jan 2015 20:43

Virgin is my ISP (broadband via landline) and the service is pathetic and has been for over two weeks. Constantly losing my internet connection. Could well be due to the sell off to TalkTalk who formally take over 26 Feb but....... Any one else having probs

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2015 20:53

Virgin is also my ISP (broadband via landline) and I have had no problems whatsoever.

:-)

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 27 Jan 2015 21:12

I am also being sold by virgin to talk talk. They dont want their old phone line customers, they only want to concentrate on the cabled areas and there is no cable here

Hopefully talk talk will be cheaper as virgin are hiking all of their prices. My daughter is in a cabled area and had just switched to BT because of the constant price hikes from Virgin

Over the last year my service has been dreadful. It got to the stage where it was cutting out at least six times during the evening and I had to reset the router each time. I spent ages on the line to India, but nothing we checked in the set up helped.

I did read that sometimes problems can be caused if you have a cordless phone set which runs on the same frequency as the router. When I thought about it the problems first started around the time I put a new set of phones in. At first it wasn't so bad but other the last couple of months before Xmas it was dreadful. So I went and bought a new dual band router from PC World and that was the immediate answer to my problems, it hasn't cut out once since then

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Jan 2015 22:16

We had Virgin where I used to work (and we have fibre optic in the area)
It was rubbish!!!
Regularly crashed, or was painfully slow.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jan 2015 23:52

I have Virgin cable 100 plus their basic M+ TV inc HD. It is very reliable and quick. I have found their technical & customer support to be very good. I don't like the Superhub which I run in "modem" mode. Over four years I have managed to negotiate the bill downwards by over £ 10 / month.

In parts of south London Virgin ADSL based internet has an abysmal reputation. It is this sort of thing they are pulling out of.

Before that I had BT business broadband which was horrendous in every way.

My mother has TalkTalk inc YouView as there is no cable where she lives. Getting it setup properly in the first place took 3 months of hassle. After that it has been fairly good. It needs to be as technical support is poor.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jan 2015 00:07

i have Virgin, tv, broadband , phone and mobile... no problems with them at all..

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 28 Jan 2015 11:22

I`m on Cable and after having a dekko at this thread I checked out my Virgin Media account last night and found that the were offering free upgrade on Broadband speed.
(its usually around the 30MB upload - 2M download)
I never found that a problem it suited my needs but I thought I would take them up on the upgrade to 50MB
I got a E-mail from them this morning ..... (No change in the package price)

Great news - your broadband has been supercharged up to 50Mb, on us

Your Updated Package ...
Essential Family Collection
Talk Unlimited Extra
TV Size: XL
Broadband Size: L (Up to 50Mb)

Bundle charges total £54.00
Phone line rental total £15.99

New monthly package total* £69.99
Chargeable from 28 January 2015
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just done a few speed checks and the readings are in access of the 50MB .
3 readings of over 50MB up` - 3MB down`
So all in all I`m quite satisfied.

Ps.. All this and you've got free lifetime service and repairs. Nice one.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Jan 2015 11:37

£70 a month?

bl dy ell..........

Ron2

Ron2 Report 28 Jan 2015 20:16

Ta for all the replies. I'll be switching to BT. They've an offer on £5 a month then £18 after a year. Offer also incl's BTSport online. No doubt there'll be problems but hope not too many