General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liberation of Auschwitz, 27 Jan 1945

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jan 2015 23:01

Dear All

Hello

On this day, in 1945, Auschwitz concentration camp in South West Poland
was liberated.

What was discovered there and through the testaments of the survivors was
the worst example of mans inhumanity to man.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These three lines were scratched into a wall at Auschwitz:

I believe in the sun even when it’s not shining.

I believe in love even when I don’t feel it.

I believe in God even when He is silent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, 70 years on, those who survived the experience returned to Poland
to mark the liberation.

The message is simple:

We must never forget.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is most humbly dedicated to those who spoke out,
the survivors, war correspondents, medical teams and
everyone who helped liberate and look after the people
at the time of the liberation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Jan 2015 23:19

lovely posting Elizabeth - let's hope it never is forgotten - in a hundred or a thousand years time

one of my mother's brothers was with the first batch of soldiers who entered Belsen after the Germans fled - he saw sights he could not speak about

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jan 2015 23:27

There is a widely held idea that nothing was known even at high levels in Allied govts about the concentration camps until the Allied armies arrived at the camps.

There is a related idea that the concentration camps were founded after the outbreak of war in 1939.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is not very widely known that the British government was wilfully obstructive towards Jewish people fleeing from the Nazis. A handful of brave diplomats did a lot but they were acting without orders.

I am entirely unconvinced that the same thing could not happen again in Europe. Indeed it already has on a small scale.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jan 2015 00:01

not just in Europe either