General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

doing less but faster ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2015 16:56

In principle, I agree. On the other hand, it would be a shame if people were afraid to post in case their language skills were ridiculed.

30 Jan @ 16:56

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Jan 2015 22:04

" Eurozone deflation gathers pace " (BBC)

eRRol is right the language is lost.

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Jan 2015 22:20

'Everybody's dream is the only plausible solution for 21st Century economic problems.

The choice is simple: more people working less or less people working more. Yet no politician, economist or journalist/broadcaster will discuss it'.

(Irish Indo 15.03.14).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Jan 2015 23:25

See nobody notices the paradox (oxymoron).

http://rmadisonj.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/gerund-shut-out.html

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 30 Jan 2015 23:29

Sounds like Dilbert-speak

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 31 Jan 2015 00:10

Eek - is there no future for us?

Then again, as I am often told, what do language, English and grammar matter?

I think I read that on faceache. Or probably not.

(I love the gerund link.)

Dermot

Dermot Report 31 Jan 2015 00:15

Sir John Cheke (16 June 1514 – 13 September 1557) was an English classical scholar who wrote: ‘I am of this opinion that our own tung should be written cleane and pure, unmixt and unmangeled with borowing of other tunges; wherein if we take not heed by tiim, ever borowing and never paying, she shall be fain to keep her house as bankrupt‘.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Jan 2015 00:17

"Then again, as I am often told, what do language, English and grammar matter?"

I am not yet ready for the world as I know it to come to an end. Of course they matter. Sloppy English means people misunderstand. The rules of grammar exist so that we can make ourselves clear to others.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 31 Jan 2015 00:56

I totally agree, Guinevere, but sadly there are many who say that sloppy English is fine and that grammar is pointless.