General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Interesting....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Feb 2015 12:08

A week ago, I had a cold call (number withheld) from someone with a very strong Indian accent called 'Barry', who said he was calling from the local council. Intrigued, I let him carry on.
After clarifying my name and address, started asking me about electrical equipment I had, starting with the type of TV I had. As it happens, it's a fairly old 'Alba'.
This was when I asked him WHY the council would be interested in my TV, and what department he worked for, as I work for that council.
Strangely he put the phone down. :-\

Just had another cold call. (02036420134) A lady from (as far as I could discern) Go Assist, concerned that the warranty on my 'Alba' TV was:
'now out of date, and we should renew the warranty in case of repairs - we have a few options for you' - said without a break :-S
I interrupted:
'This is very interesting I had a call from a man asking what TV I had, a while back. He claimed to be from the council. I'm damned sure the council isn't into scamming people, but obviously you are. The TV is way past any warranty, I'm on TPS', (could just hear her apologising at this point) 'Please take me off your scamming sheet, I'm not a 'soft touch' - goodbye.'

So, seems like one lot do a 'survey', then send details onto others.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2015 12:26

Well done Maggie :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Feb 2015 15:26

If someone phones ME and asks me to confirm any details, apart from admitting I am the person they asked for, I always refuse. They called ME and yet I can't confirm who THEY are.

I've had some big arguments on this - they usually claim it is down to Data Protection. The last one didn't seem to understand when I said I was doing just that...... protecting my data! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2015 15:34

Had a strange one this morning - lots of background noise and an English voice

Is that Mrs X?
Yes
Would it be possible to speak to Mr X?
No

They put the phone down :-S

You're probably right about them selling on information. One company got our house number wrong. When callers start on the 'your guarantee has expired' and quote the wrong address, we know exactly where the info has come from.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Feb 2015 16:06

My sister once had an interesting call - from her bank.
Usual stuff. Then she asked about her account - he then wanted her to go through a few hoops to prove who she was!!!!!

As my sister pointed out - THEY called HER. If they weren't sure who she was, should they have been discussing her account with her????

Annx

Annx Report 3 Feb 2015 23:19

My contention with the bank when they ring is how do I know THEY are who they say they are! I had a chap ring my home number from his mobile when I was out once saying he was my bank and to ring him back on his mobile. The first thing is you worry what might be wrong or has happened. I didn't know his name and ended up phoning my local branch for them to check who he was first. It turned out he was the manager of the branch where I opened my account and which I never use! By the time I got hold of him all it was was a courtesy call, so I told him his courtesy call had caused me concern, cost me 2 phone calls and wasted time. :-S He hasn't rung since.