General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unique Name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 3 Feb 2015 22:27

A relation on my tree has a unique name, the only one I can find on record as a combination of christian and surnames.

Whilst I have never encountered anybody with the same names as myself, there are plenty within the indexes.

It must be strange to encounter somebody with ones name.

Rather special to have a name entirely to oneself, though! :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 3 Feb 2015 22:42

My niece has the name of the ship she was born on during the voyage to Singapore in 1957 as her 3rd Christian name.

Fortunately it's a pretty Dutch word not something that would make you gasp with horror..lolol

Annx

Annx Report 3 Feb 2015 22:55

My dad had the name of the island the midwife came from as his only first name. There's just one other with the same name, his nephew who was named after him and who I think must have died very young as I can only trace his birth. I'm afraid my dad hated his name so much he changed it by deed poll when he was in his 40s. He changed it to a very ordinary, common first name, so he obviously didn't enjoy being special! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Feb 2015 23:57

My gx7 uncle was called Wolfran.
I had a g g aunt called Ethelreda

My grandson's first name is Latin, and used to be part of the double-barrelling of my ex's family . The double barrelled bit was dropped by ex's ancestor way back, but a son (or daughter!) has had it as a second or third name ever since. (it's ex's 3rd name)
eg Fred Brutus-Smith called his son Fred Brutus Smith.
The poor lad also has an unusual surname too. It's a corruption of an Irish name, that is actually a word in Yiddish!!!

Just googled ex's 3rd name and surname - not many around - his family on that side will be quite easy to trace - they were definitely 'Hampshire' :-D

My maiden name is unusual.
I did voluntary work at a local home for children with physical and educational disabilities whilst at school (arranged by myself, to avoid RE, PE, Games and cookery - and these children wouldn't be institutionalised now).
I went up to the place, to be met by the head of 'Friends' - only to discover we had the same surname. It's so unusual and it's origin so 'localised' If you meet another one you're bound to be related somehow.
Then started the 'which one are you related to' scenario.
Turns out he was my second cousin (by marriage - dad was adopted - but they all knew my grandmother - her reputation went before her) :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Feb 2015 07:46

One of my bridesmaid's mothers was named after a ship which was in harbour at the time she was born. Thankfully, it wasn't the Bismarck! :-D

I always wonder why people would want to name their child after a battle which took place - my husband's uncle had the middle name of Verdun. :-S

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Feb 2015 09:40

My late husband's uncle was called Authuille as a second christian name after a village in the Somme where his uncle died..

Really unusal. :-S

jax

jax Report 4 Feb 2015 14:23

No one else has the same first and last name combination as me, nor my dad or grandfather

My sister also has a unique first and last name combination.... Infact she is so easy to find by googling as she never married.... I just hide behind my common married name now :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Feb 2015 14:47

My surname is common, my first name less so.

It was quite a shock to overhear a family in our local town and then later at the minor injuries unit.
Not only do the adults have the first and last names as us, but their 2 children have the same names our youngest 2!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Feb 2015 15:09

Well there are loads of 'me' around using just my firat and last name and the same with my first and maiden name. common that's me!!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Feb 2015 15:21

My mother's maiden name is so unique
when I search there are no results :-S :-S

jax

jax Report 4 Feb 2015 17:06

My maiden name is unusual and if my dads cousin had not had 12 children there would be less now :-D

Between my dads birth and mine there are 9 others born with that surname 4 being children of the cousin

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Feb 2015 20:21

My surname is very common. My first name slightly less so but not unheard of but until my cousin had a daughter and gave her the same 1st name as me I had never met another.

My sisters first and middle names were chosen simply because my parents liked them. However whist researching the family tree I found another relation a niece of my 3x great granddad who had the same two names inverted.

lavender

lavender Report 4 Feb 2015 22:32

The story goes that my french grandmother had chosen her daughter's names before the child was born and was really upset that on confiding with a friend, the said friend had 'stolen' the two names for her own newborn.

My grandmother reversed the order, but my mother hates her name.