General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A spin off on the holiday thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 4 Feb 2015 20:26

I can understand what Errol said which amounts to us saying when our houses are empty and although nobody knows where we live nor were dates given, a valid point
BUT
I remember when we told the milkman, the paperman and all other deliveries that we would be away with out worry because that meant not only did the neighbours check the house but they did also.

Now my neighbours who were not sure about me and 2 dogs full time have discovered my 2 dogs protect their property as well as mine and are happy that we live next door.

So when going away who do you tell or do you like me leave somebody behind ?

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Feb 2015 20:32

Don't forget to tell the dogs. (Not much of an answer!). ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Feb 2015 20:40

I tell my immediate neighbours, I have a burglar alarm - both adjacent neighbours have a key to my house and I give a key to another neighbour to feed my cat, let him out in the morning and lock him in at night

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Feb 2015 20:51

We tell our immediate neighbours, one of them collects our mail (letterbox at the end of the driveway, need a key to open it) and he also picks up the local newspapers.

The dogs next door keep an eye on strangers :-)

We don't have pets, and don't have milk delivered.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Feb 2015 21:04

I tell the lovely lady who feeds my cats while I'm away :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 4 Feb 2015 21:11

Dermot I never tell my dogs I am going because they just won´t understand me leaving them, They do understand when I am not there mind !

It´s interesting that that we all rely on neighbours in some way

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Feb 2015 22:16

My mother told the local village police when she went away - this used to be the recommended thing to do - and they came round every day, at the same time, to check the property. She was burgled on about the 4th day!! :-( :-( :-(

I tell the neighbours, who keep an eye on the place for me.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Feb 2015 22:28

hmmm - police would be last on my list :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2015 04:22

I remember my brother telling me back in the 1980s that he would never tell the police ..........

.......... he lived near Manchester and there was an outbreak of vacant houses being broken into. In all cases, the owners had told the police they were going to be away

We have an alarm, and 3 people have keys to the house. We tell them. We also cancel the newspaper that we have on subscription. We an nothing about the free paper(s). But one of the neighbours stops by every day, makes sure the letters have been put completely through the letter box into the house, and picks up anyhting left on the front step.

I do understand what Erroll was talking about ........................

some of us are not as careful as we might be about keeping our personal information private, and we do tend to forget that everything we post on GR may almost immediately appear on Google

.................. if we have inadvertently let our surnames and city where we live be known, then it could be very easy for someone to identify us down to our home

I do know that there was trouble some years ago, back in the days when some of us were naive ........... when there were a couple of cases of harassment of women on here.

Their names became known to a certain person or persons, who managed to find out details such as home phones and addresses, and kept contacting the poor women at home.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2015 10:35

Cancel the milk delivery and tell the immediate neighbours one of whom has a key. She'll clear any letters from the doormat if she can spot them through the glass. We do the same for her. One of our children will also pop by if they have time.

Our neighbours let us know if they are going away and leave contact numbers either for themselves or relatives who are keyholders.

We live at the end of a close and tend to keep an eye out for each other.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Feb 2015 15:04

I used to cringe when some Gc users used to post about going on holiday, not only where they were going, but for how long.
in those days real names were frequently posted...and in many cases actual addresses had been exchanged......

remember seeing a play once where the "bin man " clocked which houses had empty bins.......

JustJanet

JustJanet Report 5 Feb 2015 20:02

Nowadays with rubbish being put out in bags and all the different recycling boxes it can be obvious a house is empty if nothing is put out on bin day, so our very good neighbours will put some of their bags outside our house.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 Feb 2015 20:28

I always leave the Butler at home
to feed my lovely pets :-D :-D

and get the neighbours to look in on him

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Feb 2015 23:27

Ah! lateral thinking..........like!!!

Iris

Iris Report 9 Feb 2015 14:17

in my case ,our son comes around every 2nd day , to water plants etc , I also tell a good friend who lives next door , she will get in touch with son or police if worried , iris :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2015 14:43

Our neighbours have a key, as we do theirs when they are away. We have security lights and radio which comes on varying times. They come in every day, twice. pull blinds down and lift them. In the summer they water the garden pots and greenhouse. They also park on our drive sometimes. I also tell the neighbourhood watch co-ordinator who lives opposite. our neighbours the other side are always also aware when we are away and they are rarely out. Our neighbours put the relevant bin out for the bin men.