General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recommendations Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Feb 2015 20:51

I am thinking of going to Scotland for just over a week may stay longer if I like it.

Going with a friend as we are using her car,,,cheaper than train and we can go exploring..

Which area do you recommend to stay in or near.

mouseman

mouseman Report 5 Feb 2015 21:16

Try The Green Park Hotel in Pitlochry .Perthshire.
Family owned, you will not be disappointed. Even get your boots cleaned,,,,

Kind regards.

Margaret x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Feb 2015 22:07

It depends what you want to do. Scenery? Castles? Museums? Touristy places? Or peace and quiet?

Pitlochry is nice - in the middle so accessible to various places.

Somewhere in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park would be a good location, within reasonable reach of Glasgow, Stirling, or even Oban for a day out.

Have a look at the VisitScotland website for more ideas.

lavender

lavender Report 6 Feb 2015 08:37

We always stay in Oban.

Lucky you, but do plan to avoid the midges. For this reason we go in May and haven't encountered a problem. We have been fortunate enough to have good weather then, too. :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 Feb 2015 17:16

When is the worst time to go for the Midges as I get bit to buggery in England never mind Scotland... :-D :-D :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 6 Feb 2015 17:19

Sue once upon a time Avon's Skin so Soft was
a very good repellant for midges, don't know if they
still supply it. :-)

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 Feb 2015 18:40

Thanks Emma Mwah.

And thanks to everyone else for the info.

Still need to know when best time to go I certainlt=y don't want to get dirty great lumps from midges all over me.

NO FUN THEN

mouseman

mouseman Report 6 Feb 2015 19:15

Hello Sue.

Don't visit Pitlochry later than May. The rule in my household, no later than the start of Wimbledon.

Enjoy.
Margaret x

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 6 Feb 2015 20:02

Thanks Margaret,,, :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 6 Feb 2015 20:04

I've had two (self-catering) holidays in May in Drymen (south-eastern end of Loch Lomond), no midge troubles but perhaps I'm immune after a childhood in the west of Scotland. Nice village, access to less sophisticated and relaxed side of the loch but easy drive both to Stirling and to Balloch.

Mersey

Mersey Report 6 Feb 2015 20:14

Hi Sue I have stayed at Lodge on Loch Lomond Hotel....a beautiful place with beautiful scenery, lovely people too :-), also stayed at Ben More Lodges whilst on the way to Nairn and Moray Firth.......all stunning....Enjoy your time where ever you go Sue :-) <3

Robert

Robert Report 6 Feb 2015 20:22

Why not try Stirling, from where you can travel easily to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and many other smaller places like Dunblane, Falkirk(the Wheel), Linlithgow( the Kelpies).

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 6 Feb 2015 20:38

We spent some time at Kinlochmoidart in the west, near to Loch Shiel, accessed via Glencoe and Fort William. Just gorgeous but fairly remote.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Feb 2015 21:55

Midge season is from about the end of May until the end of September. Avon "improved" the formula for Skin So Soft and it no longer works. (On midges, I mean). They do not like very hot weather and they cannot fly if it is very windy.

Wherever you go, the scenery is fantastic and I'm sure you'll have a great time.