General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Facebook

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Feb 2015 15:19

I do not "do" Facebook and do not understand how it works :-)

I must have got onto their system somehow as I get endless e-mails inviting me to be "friends" with people I have never heard of :-S

Today I got a personal message from someone I do know who wishes to contact me-how do I reply ?

{I have tried an e-mail address I had but it is not working}

Joeva

Joeva Report 10 Feb 2015 15:31

Google your name and see if it comes up with Facebook profiles with people of the same name or yourself...... this way you will be able to see if you are actually 'on' F/B.

If you know the person who has e-mailed you why not just message them back by using the 'reply' option on your e-mail account.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Feb 2015 16:19

Thank you

I have done the "ggogle" but there dos not appear to be another me !

If I use the reply option on the message and put my e-mail address will he {we are related} be the only one who sees it ?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 10 Feb 2015 16:25

Facebook and Twitter do give users the option to link all your contacts, not recommended unless you want to irritate a heap of friends. Perhaps one of yours simply agreed to this now FB has you on it's radar.

Contact the person concerned by writing them an email and not replying via the link.

Sue

Graham

Graham Report 10 Feb 2015 16:35

If you click on the link wouldn't it ask you to log in to FB? :-S

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 10 Feb 2015 16:43

The reply option has "no reply" in the box :-S

The actual message has the added

"sent to............by Facebook"-there is no other info

Edit
I also wondered if it was hoped I would join FB :-)

Joeva

Joeva Report 10 Feb 2015 16:49

I would just delete the e-mail sounds a bit dodgy if it is supposed to be someone you know but you are unable to reply ........ :-|

Edited to add if you know the person google his name and if you are sure it his facebook account 'message' him on there .....

Barry_

Barry_ Report 10 Feb 2015 18:19

Elizabeth, I am not on FB and I get similar e-mails. I also am often sent FB links I cannot access because I do not belong to FB. Most folk I know are on FB, however.

I have a similar annoying problem with LinkedIn, a ‘club’ for professional people!
Less than 12 hours ago I searched for a department store in San Francisco. It went bankrupt in the late 1960s.

This morning I awoke to find separate e-mails from two ladies via LinkedIn. One from a sales associate at Macy’s department store in ... you guessed it ... San Francisco.

The second was from a lady in Toronto! She is retired. In both cases their e-mail stated “I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.” Just what is going on here?
A couple of my old school friends have been similarly plagued with e-mails from LinkedIn.

Needless to say, I deleted both LinkedIn e-mails.

I have been with gmail (google mail) for almost four years. I find if I delete someone from my address book - i.e. they don’t show in my address book list – they WILL show if I try names with similar initials. I have no idea where gmail keep this information in the ether. I do so wish I could access it to delete it once and for all! It is SO frustrating.

It seems we are, without question, being monitored 24 / 7 in all we input on a keyboard!
It’s similar with apps on portable devices, too!
Our privacy is not so private, it is apparent!!

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 11 Feb 2015 09:57

Pleased to say this issue has been resolved successfully :-)

i received a reply to the e~mail i sent on the off~chance it still worked

He did send the message under the impression I was a member of FB

Barry~there does not appear to be a way of stopping these e~mails from FB that I can see

Barry_

Barry_ Report 12 Feb 2015 14:33

Glad your issue has been resolved, Elizabeth.

Following my recent gmail comment, today's Daily Mail has an article on how we are being 'spied upon'.
This is a longish article and the 'observations' about gmail are near the end.
An interesting read ... and its content concern us all how our privacy is being compromised in the comfort of our own home.
Scary indeed!

Click on link below for the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2950081/It-s-not-just-smart-TVs-home-gadgets-spy-internet-giants-collecting-personal-data-high-tech-devices.html

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Feb 2015 14:42

I love facebook
its filled in many an hour or 10 lol <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2015 17:45

Barry, I get messages from Linkedin too. I originally got an invite from somebody on here but then deleted my account with them (I thought) however our son and daughter are both members and use it for business purposes and I always get notification when either of them links with somebody new. I just delete and ignore. :-) :-)

Barry_

Barry_ Report 12 Feb 2015 18:31

Ann, I'm so pleased LinkedIn has taken a fancy to another person!
It is indeed infuriating being continually contacted (pestered?) by any 'service' - and as I noted earlier I delete them.
It just shows from my recent search in SF it didn't take long for the LinkedIn e-mail to be sent to me!
Sadly, this is one of the 'prices' we have to pay today.
The 'web' was much easier and less intrusive when GR started early in 2000.

I also receive several unwanted phone calls like so many of us. One of these pests phones almost daily and I have yet to answer 'it'. This must infuriate him - or the programmed service that pesters me.
Some very strange numbers show on my display!

Linda

Linda Report 13 Feb 2015 22:10

If you're not on FB then it could be that the person on FB has given permission to a site, like most apps to share contacts. In turn the site will then e-mail you. That's why with apps or web sites you should read what permissions you are giving.