General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sharing my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bev

Bev Report 12 Feb 2015 07:59

I am so very surprised with myself as what started out as a simple exercise in looking up a few relatives has so quickly become an obsession!!

Being so proud of my achievements (with help from other members and them kindly sharing their trees) I would like to show off my achievements to members of my family who are not subscribers to genes re United.

Does anybody know how this can be done?

Many thanks.

Solrosen

Solrosen Report 12 Feb 2015 08:19

To be honest Bev, not a clue .... though I'm very sure you will get the advice you need shortly! I have my tree on my desktop!

I just came on to welcome you to posting!

Have a nice day :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2015 09:36

Hi Bev

How have you been recording what you have found?

Have a look at http://genealogyprinters.com. Ron and his wife are very helpful and can do a chart from a spreadsheet if that is all you have - they also sell some great blank charts and other things.

Do you have a genealogy programme such as Family Historian, Family tree maker or similar? Have a look at these as it is best to keep an off line version of your tree. You can use them to create simple charts and lists - some of these programs also give you a short sub to some of the Online genealogical giants.

With your own offline tree you can protect some of your tree that you may not wish to share. Remember, you might be careful with your information but others are not. Many of us have been caught out by sharing too much.

Finally, well done. Did you ever dream of becoming as addict?

;-)

Bev

Bev Report 12 Feb 2015 11:05

Sorry I have not been clear, my tree is on Genes re united, but my family members are not subscribers.

So I wanted to show them my tree without actually taking my computer to their houses and showing them in person!!

Silly me???

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Feb 2015 14:56

The easiest way is to tell them your ID and Genes password, then they can look for themselves.

Depends if you trust them :-) :-) but if you don't use your Genes password for anything else it should be OK.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2015 15:01

Once upon a time we used to be able to print of a convoluted tree from Genes. Very difficult once you had a few pages to stick together. Now a lot of us resort to Family Tree programs for the simple charts.

There are some free downloadable programs like Legacy - hopefully someone will be able to tell you if you can do charts and tables from them.

It might be worth looking into whether a free member can be given access - I don't know the answer myself.

I once took a laptop to a relatives, having downloaded my tree by Gedcom - couldn't get the ********* thing to show the tree : :-(

Bev

Bev Report 12 Feb 2015 16:38

This sounds like a husband thing, I will ask my one, cheers for that.

Just reading the history of Arkengarthdale, didn't even know it existed until I started doing my tree, it's fascinating isn't it.

Thanks again.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Feb 2015 15:15

Thanks BR. I had checked it was all working before I left home. Just couldn't get it to work at my cousins.

Mind you, that was a few years ago and luckily I had a paper copy of the tree with me.