General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hole Mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2015 09:37

We have lived here for just over 40 years, the house was built in the 1950s.

Yesterday a six inch hole appeared in the lawn and under about 3 inches of topsoil there is a cavity about a foot deep and extending up to a foot in several directions.

The cavity is clean and dry and there are no signs of animal activity or decayed vegetation inside.

I an puzzled.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Feb 2015 09:48

Limestone, in the US is a problem as the acidic rain dissolves the stone causing sink holes, any limestone in yours? Brian......

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Feb 2015 10:00

No limestone anywhere near (we are in central Essex), it's normal alluvial soil in a relatively flat area.
No known industrial activity on the site, I believe it used to be orchard.
No nearby streams.
I did wonder about an old well?

Graham

Graham Report 13 Feb 2015 11:33

Perhaps it is where somebody uprooted a tree many years ago :-S

My dad done that with a holly tree we had in our garden when I was a wee lad. :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Feb 2015 11:55

I would check that there was no mining in your area!!!

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 13 Feb 2015 12:10

I was born in Pitsea, essex and lived in a house where there was an orchard. Most of the surrounding houses had orchards and quite a few had wells in their back gardens. Could this be a possibility. :-S

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Feb 2015 12:22

Have you checked your house is not built on an old Indian burial ground? Building over a portal to the underworld is not covered by most household policies you know! ;-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Feb 2015 12:24

Get someone to look into it for you. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Feb 2015 13:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 13 Feb 2015 15:43

There have been mines in Essex in the past. Have a look at this site to see if you need to be worried.

Good Luck.

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-property-is-affected-by-coal-mining

Linda

Linda Report 13 Feb 2015 16:45

Or could it just be with all that rain we had last year. I'm sure I've heard of it gapping over here some where else this year. Hope you get it sorted soon

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Feb 2015 16:57

As Jasper Carrot might have said............

He's got a MOLE hole!!!

Bob

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 13 Feb 2015 19:15

I would get the council (civil engineer) to check out the hole.
It could very well be a sinkhole and getting bigger by the day..

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Feb 2015 22:23

Having checked it out again and thought back, it COULD be left from the roots of a lilac bush that I seem to recall being there when we moved in.
Strange that there's no sign of decayed material , if that were the case.