General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Landfill cafe.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 16 Feb 2015 02:45

What a good idea!

A lady chef has set up a cafe in North Wales using food destined for landfill .
Food past sell by date from supermarkets etc.
Customers pay what they think is a fair price ,and by all accounts it is delicious.
Believe there are a few like this in the UK!
Has anyone else seen,or tried one of these?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Feb 2015 03:43

Makes a lot of sense on so many levels, although I think she would need some sort of public liability insurance as she must leave herself wide open to people claiming food poisoning I think I would try the food tho as I hate waste and would be glad to know the food was usdd. Also I get fed up with cooking but grudge paying huge prices for restaurant food, knowing I could usually make it for much less.

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Feb 2015 09:40

Wonder how she gets around the strict restaurant health and safety rules re out of date food?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2015 10:20

Sell by isn't the same as use by.
I agree she needs some form of additional insurance cover, and strict stock rotation!

How is she going to get an consistent supply? The normal sources may be worried they'd get the blame if something goes wrong.

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 16 Feb 2015 18:48

We have a shop just opened up by me that sell near by/out of date items.Popped in there the other day and got a multi pack of crisps just out of date 50p. It depends what they get in so will be going in again.
Anne