General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Firefox ~ won't shut down

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2015 06:45

:-(

I always "x" out of it, up until today there hasn't been a problem.

Now I find I can't get back in... a message saying Firefox is still running...... and I have to restart the computer before trying again.

Anyone else having this problem?

I looked at Firefox "help" which didn't help much at all, but I did find that others have reported the same problem........ but not a hint as to what to do about it, other than deleting cookies every time you use it :-(

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 16 Feb 2015 07:45

Fine for me - but you're having ISP problems?
I have it set to delete cookies (except for specified ones) each time I close - not suggesting an overload is the problem. I am a bit paranoid about security. Herself says I'm like that about most things. ;-)
B

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2015 08:36

I'm now on the "problem" mailing list with Firefox.

Does that mean they will help solve the problem, or will I see lists of other people's problems? :-S

I opened Firefox, tried to delete cookies and it froze!

grrrrrrrrrr

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 16 Feb 2015 10:36

I have this problem sometimes with firefox.. turn it off at the plug and then on again and it will be fine..

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2015 10:50

I'm always rebooting........... fed up with it.

I'm so frustrated with it, I've gone back to IE

:-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Feb 2015 11:20

I have been poodling along ok for yonks with google chrome .no problems at all with it until the last 3 weeks ot so .its constantly freezing .wont load or bombs out. Very annoying . I am rebooting constantly which is frustrating :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Feb 2015 11:39

Problems with Chrome, Firefox and IE are often due to stuff which has been introduced by web site java script and/or addons, toolbars etc etc.

Taking Firefox.

The current version is 35.0.

1. Try starting Firefox with add ins etc disabled. Visit a web site. Now try to shut down. If it is ok then you have a problem with an addin or plug in.

2. Do Firefox | reset This will clear cache, history etc. and often fixes problems.

3. Install NoScript (free) which gives you back control over which web sites can run scripts and to what extent. A lot of people also install AdBlock (free).

If Firefox starts up / shuts down ok with plugins disabled then you may have a problem with one or more of them. Using the plugin manager disable all of them and re enable one at a time to see which one is a problem.

The Firefox configuration can be seen by typing about:config into the address bar. Badly behaving web sites sometimes muck about with this and so do many plug ins and add ons. The usual intention is to install advertising hooks. Some supposed security products do much the same.

NEVER install ISP software of any sort. The only way to get rid of it is usually a fresh installation of Windows.

Internet Explorer will not be in the shipping version of Windows 10. Microsoft have developed a brand new browser instead. So during 2015 RIP Internet Explorer.

good luck

Craig

Craig Report 18 Feb 2015 01:25

Or instead of turning the computer off, press ctrl,alt,del and start task manager, click on the firefox is unresponsive and click end task. Saves you restarting the computer.
start firefox again and install google chrome browser, once installed go to control panel, click programs and features,highlight firefox and uninstall. click google chrome and search for firefox and install it again.then uninstall google chrome :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Feb 2015 03:32

Thanks, but no thanks. I won't use Google Chrome!!

I now delete history every time I use the internet. A bit fiddly, as I have to enter passwords all the time. One way of making me remember passwords :-|