General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 19 Feb 2015 23:50

Does anyone know if the GRO will search for a death certificate if I can narrow it down to a few years and if they do how much they charge. Trying to find my ggg great grandfathers death but there are at least 5 possible men with the same name who died in the correct time and place.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Feb 2015 01:06

they used to search one year either side of a given date.........three years........
don't know the charges

you might get a better deal if you know the area, from a local (likely)registrars office

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Feb 2015 17:05

The answer is yes they will, as Bob has mentioned, but they don't readilly publicise the fact.

Select GRO Ref Not known then for the date of the event, enter 01 Jan yyyy , where yyyy is the year that you beleive it took place. The GRO will then search the year requested and one either side and if they find a match with the other details you have provided will stop searching and issue the cert, for the normal fee.

If no match is found after searching the three year period, you get a full refund.

Note that for events occuring within the last 50 years you have to provide the correct date, apparently for security purposes.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2015 18:49

However, if the details you supply, the certificate they find and send it to you, may still not be the right person.

One of my g.g.grandfathers was born and died the same year and quarter as another man with the same name!! They lived just streets apart and were not related, and in Hanham with the surname Brain that is little short of a miracle.

:-D

lavender

lavender Report 20 Feb 2015 22:44

It's £9.25, they take the payment but refund if not correct as stated above.

A few of my Searches resulted in them sending certificates that were not even correct for the parents details sent. I telephoned and was able to return the certificates and the money refunded. It's a really good service. Some of the certificates were correct and I was pleased to have them without paying for all the searches.