General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

As an aside to Barbra's first job thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2015 11:31

From the age of about eleven to sixteen we spend/spent a lot of our time with the same group. Do you keep in touch with any of the friends you made? I suppose if you still live in the same area it is easy, but I am thinking mainly of those of us who moved away.

Also with all those jobs we have all done. Do you keep in touch with friends you made there? :-) :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2015 11:34

I left school in 1956 but I am still in fairly regular contact (by snail mail) with three of the girls from my class. And by e mail with at least one of the boys.

From my first real job in the civil service from 1956 to 1961 I am still in fairly regular contact with two of the people I worked with.

And then with other jobs still keep in contact with one or two from each.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Feb 2015 11:51

That's quite some achievement AnnG!

I'm in contact with my best friend from Primary and Secondary school despite the fact she moved away when she married. We take turns to email every couple of weeks. Until recently her father lived in our neighbouring village meaning that we would normally meet up for a meal when she visited.

Through Friendsreunited (when it first started) another ex Primary/Secondary school friend realised that we lived within 1/2 mile of each other. We now meet up again every couple of months for a pub lunch.

Through her contacts we were invited to an 'Old Girls' style reunion recently. We weren't impressed. They had in the main kept in contact. We both felt that our geographical location - coached into Secondary School, rubbish rural bus service and a different train line into London - meant that we tended to keep up friendships closer to 'home'.

OH has kept in contact with his best friend from Secondary school - it helps that he is married to my best friend :-D :-D
He has renewed a friendship with a person he was an apprentice with, but other than that neither of us had particularly strong work place friendships we wanted to continue.

Barbra

Barbra Report 20 Feb 2015 11:52

Morning Ann..I had one or two good friends when we left school kept in touch .& we saw each other in our working lives even went on holidays .but sad to say one died 20years ago .saw a lot of ex school pals in my local town as they worked there .but as we get older & move on in our lives dont see them .get Christmas Cards from one or two but thats about it really Barbra :-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 20 Feb 2015 12:29

We have a group from the same class in infant/ junior school from 1951-57 and we meet up regularly. This year some of us are going to Whitby for a few days. Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2015 12:49

Nice to see some keep in touch. I suppose it helps that one of my hobbies has always been letter writing (although now typed) and I do write a lot of letters, posted 3 this morning. I don't see my ex school friends/early work friends much but we do meet occasionally. they live in Hampshire, sadly now daughter has moved from there we don't really have anywhere to stay except hotels etc in the area. Grandsons who live there don't have spare room.

I did forget to add that I am also in letter contact with my school friend/bridesmaid as well, but we were also friends before High school. (Yes we had a two bus journey to school so friends were in the home locality. The school friends I remain in touch with were from near to where I lived.

My OH is in touch with one school friend who we have visited and they came here. And also there are a group of us his ex RN friends from 1055- 1968 who we remain in touch with. We did used to meet up annually as a group at a hotel but that has tailed off since we got older and lost a couple of spouses. still stay in touch though. And meet with some when in each other's areas.

Strangely, my last job was in this area but I have no friends from that job. Stay in contact with one 'girl' but that is all. strange working for the military as a civilian, it is hard to make friends. And the military move on.

Thanks for replying. :-) :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Feb 2015 13:02

Hi Ann,

Moving around a lot as a child I haven't managed to stay in touch with many from school, though I still send and receive a Christmas card and letter from my first best friend when I was about 5, and two or three from when I was 10/11.

My assistant manager from 25 years ago wrote at Christmas to say she has retired now from the place we both worked, and my manager from my first ELC job keeps in touch also, again that's generally just a Christmas letter back and forth, but it's always nice to hear from her.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2015 13:07

People complain about duplicated Christmas letters but I love to hear how people are and what theya re doing in their lives. You reminded me that we still get Christmas letters from two sometimes three people that we knew when we lived in Essex from 1968 to 1973. Yes they are duplicated but it is always good to exchange news.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Feb 2015 13:25

still in contact with two friends from infants class - one of whom I've known since I was three years old, the other from five years old

still in touch with two from grammar school

in touch with about five from my job at the cigar factory in the fifties - we meet up at least once a year and talk over old times -love it

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2015 14:06

thank you Ann & Rose for replying.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Feb 2015 16:51

Puts me to shame. I keep in touch with nobody from that era. I did reacquaint with 2 girls from my pre-teens when I was in Sheffield last year and I will pick up with them this year also. I do have one of the girls I was at boarding school on Facebook but that is a recent connection.
Other than that I think I moved about far too much and everybody moved on.
I do still have some friends from the UK from before moving to Spain that I stay in touch with but they are all friends met in the last 20 yrs. :-(

Graham

Graham Report 20 Feb 2015 16:51

Whilst I've stayed close to where I grew up; most of my school friends moved away.

The parents of one of my classmates were both teachers at our school. I see them regularly; and they keep me up to date with how their daughter's doing.

Occassionly one of my old buddies will turn up out of the blue. It's nice then to catch up.

Of course there is one little madam I haven't managed to scare off yet. ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Feb 2015 18:52

I am still friends with a girl I have known sincecI was 5. Wecare now 61.

And my 2 close friends from secondary school w are all still in touch, am even godmother to one of their daughters, they are sisters.

:-D