General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Good? old days

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 22 Feb 2015 11:59

Thought it might be interesting to catalogue things we had to put up with in the alleged good old days.(goose grease for one)
My attention was drawn yesterday to the old fashioned Lisle stockings which used to ladder so easily. Ladies used gravy browning on their legs and drew lines thereon (all this before nylons and tights).

What were you glad to leave in the past?

Happy days

lavender

lavender Report 22 Feb 2015 13:58

The twin tub ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2015 14:02

The 'loo' - ie bucket in the shed :-(

Having said that, we upgraded, when I was 8, with a new caravan that actually had a WORKING bathroom :-D
AND I had a bedroom - definitely beat my previous 'bed' - a board and cushion over the (un-plumbed in) bath, just off the kitchen area.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Feb 2015 14:13

Tried to think of a tasteful comment about legs covered in gravy but couldn't.

On my list:

Those elastic band garter things which kept socks frrom slipping down.

Short trousers.

Coal fires - well the fires themselves were nice but the associated maintenance was grim.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Feb 2015 14:45

Steam trains, telephone operators, typing pools, diazzo printing, Rotring pens, leaky ball pens, sky high income tax, coal, Lyons tea shops, circuses with wild animals, Berni Inns, leather footballs & rugby balls, lead shot and fishing weights, cotton and hemp sails and cordage, old style dentists and opticians, cigarette smoke everywhere, plastic airline flight bags, Readers Digest, corporal punishment of children, Godfrey & Siddons, JCL, black and white fuzzy tv, video tape, otter hunting, army boots, Browning mk1 semi-automatic pistol, Salvation Army band, measles, chickpox etc., low tech medicine, unsafe at any speed motor cars, London smog, filthy rivers ... the list is endless. No wonder they worked so hard at R&D with the aim of making life a bit safer and more comfortable!

The single best invention in people's everyday lives has been the contact lens.

fwiw my lot had indoor loo & bathroom way back into the C19 and phone/car from about 1920.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Feb 2015 15:28

I was living in either a converted bus or caravan with the outside loo.
It was my parents choice. Anything was preferable to mum rather than live in married quarters. A couple of years before I was born, they (and my 3 siblings) lived in Climping Windmill.
They upgraded to a caravan with, not only a bathroom, but it also had a verandah and French windows. :-D

My parents bought a house in about 1966 - so it wasn't poverty!!