General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicate Entrys

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 1 Mar 2015 17:17

I have a lot of duplicate entries in my Tree is there anyway joining different strands of my Tree together and getting rid of the duplicate entries
Paul

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 2 Mar 2015 00:05

Hi Paul

There is a way of avoiding duplicate entries.

I am trying to remember how I did this, as I have a number of people who have married into the same family- eg Two Brothers married to two sisters.

I did it this way,

For example-
When you want to add a marriage mate to someone on your tree, when you already have the marriage mate on another part of your tree-

Click on the "Add" box on the person on your tree.

Then chose "Spouse"

The "Add Spouse" box will appear- click on "Find Existing"

Put the details into the search box in the way explained in the box.

A drop down box with the correct person you want to add should appear.

Click on it and then save.

You will then have the Spouse that you have attached also linked to his / her own family line in your tree, without having to duplicate the entry.

*****I have just experimented by attaching MYSELF in marriage to my cousin on my tree! :-D :-D

IT WORKED!:-)

The difficulty you will have in getting rid of duplicate entries that you already have on your tree, is if you have relations (spouse and descendants) attached to both entries.

I will have to think on that one! :-D :-D :-D

Edited-

I think that the best way to get rid of duplicate entries that you already have on your tree, would be TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL THE DESCENDANTS & SPOUSE ARE ONLY ON ONE OF THE ENTRIES- The one you want to keep.

Go to the information box on the right side of your tree page (where the two arrows are), for the person who's entry is attached to the Spouse and descendants - The one you want to keep.

Scroll down the to add father and add mother boxes.

Click on each of these in turn - and again choose "Find Existing".

When you add these details and save, it should automatically link straight to the parents and the family line of the added spouse.

IF YOU ARE SURE THAT THIS HAS WORKED then you should be able to delete the extra one (PLEASE BE CAREFUL!), if it has no descendants attached.

If the DUPLICATE ENTRY that you want to delete also has attached duplicated spouse and descendants, you will need to "Unpick" these methodically from the youngest upwards ON THE DUPLICATE, and then the duplicated spouse. (ONLY WHEN YOU ARE DEFINITE THAT THE EARLIER STAGE WORKED!) Then finally the duplicated entry.

You should then be left with only one entry that will link into other existing parts of your tree.

IT SOUNDS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN IT ACTUALLY IS! :-D :-D :-D

IF ANYONE KNOWS A BETTER WAY- PLEASE ADVISE PAUL, SOMEONE

Thanks, Jem :-)

Kense

Kense Report 2 Mar 2015 08:50

Are you sure they are actually duplicate entries?

The full tree display sometimes appears to contain duplicate entries in order to keep the display tidy. Such duplicate entries contain an icon which indicates that they are copies.

Paul

Paul Report 2 Mar 2015 20:07

Thanks for the information I will have to play around to see if I can do as you all suggest
Paul