General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Master bakers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2015 20:31

Have you come across any ????????
in your trees

it was a long hard job years ago
was it a common occupation
and could just anybody do it ;-) ;-) ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2015 20:37

yes, it was common

and nope ......................... to be called a MASTER baker, one had to do an apprenticeship, just any other trade had to do.

OH has several ancestors who became confectioners from about 1880 ...... the last of them died in 1938, having worked in Liverpool with her sister until the sister died

They all seemed to be women ................. but the two sisters certainly had apprentices on the 1901 and 1911 censuses. I haven't uncovered where they did their training.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2015 20:40

THANK YOU SYLVIA
I have found one and was interested

as he started Fox's biscuits :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Mar 2015 20:42

We have Master various other things, but not Bakers.

I get the impression that to be a Master, they had to serve an apprentiship under another Master. After that they became a Journeyman.[added for 7 years?] Only when they had their own establishment and took on Apprentices of their own did they become Masters.

Bread making before industrialisation was a pretty gruelling task - Bread is a British staple, so there were probably quite a few Masters in each town as well as those who just set themselves up as Bakers without the formal training.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Mar 2015 20:43

Yes Joy...my great grandfather and his father :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2015 20:50

thank you girls x

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2015 20:59

The company was founded in 1853, by Michael Spedding, who worked from his small bake house in Batley making "eatables" to sell at feasts and fairs held throughout the north of England. His daughter Hannah provided the name for the company, after she married Fred Ellis Fox in the late 1800s.( stolen from another site)

no common ginger nuts in our family ;-) ;-) ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Mar 2015 22:21

I think, and I could very well be wrong, that to become a master, you not only had to have served an apprenticeship yourself but to have also trained an apprentice.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2015 04:21

You can still become a Master Baker over here .............. and I would assume in the UK as well

The regulations to become a Journeyman Baker and then a Master Baker under the US Registration are ...............

To become a Certified Journey Baker (CJB) applicants must: Have four years of experience, and pass a written exam.

To become a Certified Master Baker (CMB), applicants must: Have eight years of experience, pass a written exam, and pass a practical baking test.

I can't find anything about the regulations in the 19th century or earlier ............ but presumably, they would be similar.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2015 04:33

bits and pieces ................

from a posting on Rootschat ..............

a baker would have involved an apprenticeship in the 19th century. The bakers had a London Livery Company which had apprentice bindings up 1860, but it is much more likely that apprenticeships outside London would be controlled by the local guildhall. The London records will be in the Guildhall library.

--------

from http://www.bakersfederation.org.uk/the-bread-industry/history-of-bread/industrial-age.html

The National Association of Master Bakers was formed.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Mar 2015 11:50

thank you Sylvia and folks
I will be looking in this more :-D :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 19 Mar 2015 19:46

I have mentioned this before, but in a different context. I have the Last Will and Testament of one John Pringle, Baker. His premises were at 8, St. Agnes Terrace, Tabernacle Walk, Shoreditch. I can find no relationship to my family, but there must be a connection as I also have his, his wife Kate's ,and niece Mary Ann's funeral cards, the receipt for Mary Ann's funeral, and a business card of his nephew George's, a "beer engine maker and pewterer". Sorry to go on a bit. All because someone asked about Master Bakers. Bob

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 19 Mar 2015 19:48

Oh yes, and a his membership card for the National Anti-Corn Law League.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Mar 2015 19:52

Go on as much as you like Bob
I Am finding this really interesting

and I love hearing about other peoples trees :-D :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 20 Mar 2015 00:28

I came across a marriage in my tree recently.

One of my rellies married Mr Paterson ( Master Baker)
His father was the original master baker in Rutherglen, Lanarkshire who created Paterson's Oatcakes.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Mar 2015 09:00

I love oat cakes Ross :-D :-D :-D