General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Had a lovely evening yesterday

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2015 16:07

I went to Haberdashers Askes Hatcham Girls School in New Cross London from 1948

A very prestigious School associated with the Haberdashers Company of London and still a great school that has now incorporated other Schools in the area and become an Academy . Ofsted gives them an A rated

I am a member of the old girls association and a former committee member ,time served

We have an annual AGM in March at the Royal Blackheath Golf Club followed by a dinner which is always excellent

Hubby used to drive me up to SE London for the meetings and for the dinners but he isnt now able to drive so its down to me

I did a google map to guide me but stupid thing didnt tie up with the A2 signs . I came off at what I thought was the right turn off but it wasnt!!

Hubby though surprised me with his directions of turn right ,turn left etc and we got there

So impressed with hubby as his brain which is getting fuddled by Alzheimer remembered the area so well

We had a Great evening with lots of chat and lots hugs and so nice to see you both

Hope we can go again next year

BUT thanks GOOGLE MAPS for your VERY inaccurate maps info !!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Mar 2015 17:06

Hi Shirley

I think you know that I also went to Aske's (1952-59). I'm pleased that you had a good evening and that your OH was in such good form. I haven't been to the AGM/dinner for a few years now as distance and other commitments have made it difficult but we had a very enjoyable evening last time we went. OH stayed in the bar while we had the business meeting and then came in for dinner; and we stayed the night at that hotel on Blackheath - the name escapes me. Is it the Clarendon?

I wonder if other people are as loyal to their school as we Old Askeans usually are.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Mar 2015 17:15

I had a very good friend, now no longer with us, who went to Haberdasher's Askes. She probably started in 1948, aged 11, but had left school when I met her. We kept in touch until 2006, visiting when possible.

Her name was Jean Parkinson - did you know her?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2015 17:34

No Andysmum I don't remember the name sorry .probably in one of the other forms to me

Vera , The Clarendon Hotel is nice hotel with lots of family connections .OH mum was a silver service waitress there AND our brothers wake was held there last year

Our brother lived in Blackheath and knew the events manager

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2015 17:37

Vera

It would be great if you could get to an AGM but Janet would love to hear from you too

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 Mar 2015 18:24

Shirley

I am in touch with Janet and always let her know whether I can get to meetings or not. I am also in contact with Judy and Terry as they were my "group" and we try to meet up somewhere every so often.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Mar 2015 06:42

Thats great Vera

Janet and Megan were lovely as well as Judy and the others , we both got a big hug from them all . Michael used to drive me up to the committee meetings and sit a read as we held the meetings so they know him very well . They made a big fuss of him which was nice

Yes us old Askeans are very loyal to the old School

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Mar 2015 23:53

Sometimes Alzheimers patients can amaze you can't they?

The girlfriend Fred shipped in for a time had been a receptionist in A&E at the local hospital for most of her working life but, by the time he hooked up with her, we were having to chase her round the village and keep her away from the phone.

One day I was too slow and she was on the phone as soon as it rang but immediately went into professional mode and answered like a secretary.

Then she was back to kicking the cat and stuffing her pockets with tissues.