General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doesn't work.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2015 10:28

I so dislike what is called treacle tart that I can barely say it. That is the one that is made with golden syrup.

I had always thought that it had been made with real treacle in it's original form so I tried making one using the same recipe but using treacle instead of golden syrup.

Well, it is horrible. Not horrible in the same way as golden syrup tart but horrible in it's own right.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2015 10:38

Perhaps your tastes have changed? What used to be wonderful 40 odd years ago is far too sweet/sour now :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 6 Apr 2015 10:51

my mum used to do a good version of this by mixing scrunched-up cornflakes into golden syrup

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2015 10:55

I don't recall ever enjoying syrup tart but probably used to shovel it down for the sake of it like I have never liked wine but used to drink it because you are supposed to like it.

I do like treacle because it has a bit of flavour of it's own but it doesn't work in the tart using the same recipe.

Next time, whenever that might be, there will be more bread crumb, a bit of butter, lot more lemon, maybe, even, an egg and a few sultanas.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Apr 2015 13:00

Did you put lemon in it to take off the sweetness a bit

Mum used to make it with golden syrup and breadcrumbs plus. I think the juice of two lemons

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2015 13:11

I think that the only way I would enjoy syrup tart is if it were made with no syrup.

I truly loathe it, especially the way it feels against your teeth.

Sally

Sally Report 6 Apr 2015 13:20

I used to make it with porridge oats sprinkled on it yummy

sally w <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Apr 2015 13:21

It still had syrup in it though didn't it?!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Apr 2015 15:07

I don't think I've ever had syrup tart with breadcrumbs in.
Mum's version was like that made by Elizabeth's mother.
Sometimes it might have crumbled Weetabix instead.
If ever I made one, it was also using these cereals.

Not sure that I'd like a treacle tart, but used to like a syrup one, even shop bought ones.
Probably I would find it far too sweet these days.

Gwyn

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 6 Apr 2015 15:48

I always put black treacle in Christmas cake though never made treacle tart with it.
Golden syrup with cereal in a tart.