General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lorina's sampler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Apr 2015 04:36

From the workhouse.

This amazing sampler was shown on Antiques Roadshow a while back and has now been further researched by the Antiques Roadshow Detectives. It is in our local Castle Museum here in Norwich.
The further information shown was really interesting but very sad.
I hope Lorina is resting in peace now.

Lizx

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Apr 2015 08:57

Missed it when shown originally but did see it on A R D

Some of the people named on the sampler were real but sadly some statements were not true

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 Apr 2015 11:17

true or not an amazing piece of sewing. who would have the patience to do something like that nowdays, she will live in history. :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Apr 2015 23:14

It's great that the sampler was kept , could easily have been thrown out after she died, but what a loss if it had been destroyed.

Sad that she was cast aside by her brother. I know a woman who was put in a mental institution when in her late teens for being 'troublesome' and she was let out at the age of 50 something, given a flat and social workers. The world was a strange place for her but she learned to cope.

Lizxy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Apr 2015 00:25

Liz, the horrors of the past are so near.
I did 'temp' work in a psychiatric hospital 40 years ago.
The person I worked with (we were printing autoclave bags)was a woman who was undergoing a gender change - at that time deemed a psychiatric disorder
Also in that hospital was a 43 year old man, who had been in there since the age of 3, purely because he was epileptic. His epilepsy had been under control for the past 20 years.
In a sub-room were lots of elderly women, who spent their days putting 'Efferdent' into boxes.
They were incarcerated in the 1920's and 1930's for having babies out of wedlock.
Apparently, if you refused to name the father, this was the outcome.
It always begged the question, what if they had been raped?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Apr 2015 02:51

Indeed, there were so many dreadful injustices carried out due to ignorance, Maggie.

I suppose in some cases these people were considered an embarrassment or liabilty to the family. So sad, what a waste of lives.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Apr 2015 05:31

I googled for Lorina's sampler.

Lots of interesting information, but I could only find one photograph, which showed only a small part of the sampler. It's huge!

Dr Pincher sounds like a scoundrel!