General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No results

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 28 Apr 2015 21:14

I search on GR and more often then not I get 0 results, but when I go to other sites I get loads of information! beginning to think I have wasted my money buying a years subscription. Does anyone else have this problem?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Apr 2015 21:25

Most people on here don't use GR for searches. Most use sites like Findmypast or Ancestry.

Are you perhaps putting too much information into the search boxes? Sometimes less is more.

Kath. x

Linda

Linda Report 28 Apr 2015 21:36

Hi Kath, I'm getting more info from Findmypast, I have tried just surname and birth dates, to no avail. I have just got 5 marriages....all blank. I'm sorry I joined GR now!

Linda x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Apr 2015 04:26

we all use the free site www.freebmd.org.uk

for all bmds from July 1 1837 to about 1970.

GR does not carry its own records, nor have they transcribed them.

They access the records on fmp :-)

Linda

Linda Report 30 Apr 2015 17:21

Thanks for that Sylvia, I get most my info from FMP. I am back to the 1700's now but have used freebmd early on. I certainly wont be recommending GR to anyone, I do feel cheated.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Apr 2015 18:32

Linda

The best thing about GR is the help you get from the members ....... and I bet you have no complaint about that!

You seem to have been a member for a very long time, almost as long as me!!

If you remember, GR did not carry any records until about 2009 ............... we joined to build our trees, and in my case, I also paid the sub ($5 then!) to use the Boards.

I'm not sure how good the tree building is, but the Boards and the members are still among the best you can find.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 May 2015 00:27

Well said Sylvia. The members and the help they give on the community boards are the only thing that make Genes worth the admittedly small subscription - the standard membership that is!!

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 May 2015 03:29

Thanks, Kath!

that's why I am still a member :-)

Linda

Linda Report 1 May 2015 16:45

No, I certainly can't fault the lovely people here and the help that is offered. I started my tree quite a few years ago, then stopped after ill health. I started again a few months back and am progressing quite well so far, but that is only because I have had to go to other sites to get a lot of the information needed. I was just curious to see if other people had the same problem.