General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry

Barry Report 14 May 2015 16:36

How do I search on a census to find out who was living at a certain address?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2015 17:17

Depends really what subs you have

maybe we can help if you give some names and birth years

Barry

Barry Report 14 May 2015 18:14

Thank you very much.
I know who (relative) lived in a house at the 1871 census. They died in 1876. I’d like to find out who lived there at the census of 1881. Trying to trace what went where.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 14 May 2015 20:26

For 1881, try searching for other people, now 10 years older, who are on the same page as your relative in 1871. One or more of those families/individuals must surely still be at the same address? And if none are, (ie if all have moved) try the names on the adjacent pages.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 May 2015 00:43

On Findmypast you can search by address. If you would like to give the address someone will have a look for you.

Kath. x

Barry

Barry Report 15 May 2015 11:25

Thank you, everyone. Very helpful.

Inky, I’ll follow up that idea.

Kath, the address is ‘Kennington Oval’, aka ‘Oval' (1851 census) or 'Oval House' (1861 census), London, or 'Middlesex, London'.

Shirley, resident at that address post-1861 was an Ann Hollaman, who died in 1876.

Barry

Barry Report 15 May 2015 11:28

My apologies: the parish is Lambeth, ecclesiastical district of St Mark. (The London/Middlesex connection is their birth area.)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 May 2015 14:12

Name: Ann Hollaman
Probate Date: 27 Nov 1876
Death Date: 17 Nov 1876
Death Place: Surrey, England
Registry: Principal Registry

Late of Kennington Oval in the county of Surrey. Proved at the Principal Registry by John Hollaman of 13 Kennington Oval, the brother and sole Executor
Effects under £6000

1871 census gives the address as ‘Formerly the Vicarage’. From the numbering, 13 Kennington Oval, the address that John Hollaman gives, could be the same property.
………….

1881 census and districts

London
Lambeth
Kennington First
District 9
Municipal Ward of Princes

District 9 description (1881) the north (right hand) side of Kennington Oval from Bowling Green St to the corner of Devonshire Place
The house numbers in order of visitation goes from 34 Kennington Oval to 14 Kennington Oval and includes sequential odd and even numbers
……

London
Lambeth
Kennington First
District 10

SE (or right hand side) of Kennington Oval from and including Exeter Villas by the boundary stone of St Ann’s Ecclesiastical district ct to the corner of Bowling green,,,

Numbering 59 – 37
……………

London
Lambeth
Kennington First
District 8

Including the Oval Schools to the corner of Durham St
No Kennington Oval
……
London
Lambeth
Kennington First
District 11

Using Oval Road as a landmark, but not including the missing houses. 2, 3 & $ Oval Cottages
……….

So homes nos 13 to 1 are missing.
Hypothesis
- they are in a district other than 8, 9, 10 or 11
- unoccupied or commercial premises
- been knocked down
- I’ve missed them.

Barry

Barry Report 15 May 2015 16:37

Great stuff, detective. I’m very grateful to you for taking so much trouble over this. Will now pursue it following those positive leads.

With many thanks and best wishes
Barry