General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Constant errors when searching Census Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike

Mike Report 20 May 2015 15:59

What a surprise, Genes Reunited can hardly go a month without having a technical problem. It's only been since the end of March I last experienced this annoying problem. Searching census records result in messages proclaimimg ' Sorry, an error has occured'. You don't say! Talk about the bloody obvious. If GR enetred the Olympics in the incompetence games they'd win successive gold medals. What's the pathetic excuse this time? Then again you'll probably never reply like you normally do. I will ask again - what exactly am I paying for???You take may hard earned money and then fail - abjectly so - in providing a service. That's fair, isn't it!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 May 2015 16:12

Anything made by the hand of man will fail it is the nature of things - eg recent crash of A380 cargo jet in Spain caused by incorrect installation of the engine management software.

GRU is the only budget option for family history research. You can do a lot with just the basic membership as the indexes are free to search and often better than those of Ancestry. FamilyHistory is free and has a lot of census data world wide plus English parish records 1540-1840.

Not all of the things that go wrong are the fault of GRU. If you have a slow connection ( < 5 Mb /sec ), or depend on a USB modem ( they only give 2 Mb / sec max ) or your wifi is choppy then record access errors are inevitable. Make sure yr browser is up to date and avoid InternetExplorer.

I have a full world wide Ancestry sub. It is expensive but that doesn't stop them dropping service altogether for hours at a time, all manner of data input errors, cryptic system errors and so on. As I said the hand of men ...

Calm down.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 May 2015 17:47

Mike, you may get lucky and the Community Manager will spot your post, but in the main the only people who will read/answer it are your fellow members.

Another explanation to add to Rollo's more practical ones is.....they need to replace the gaffer tape on the broken switch :-D

If you wanted to email support directly, use
[email protected].

If you're lucky, you might get a standard reply, suggesting you clear your 'cookies' or use a different browser, sometime next week.

Kense

Kense Report 20 May 2015 20:57

Rollo it was an A400M turboprop that crashed in Spain.

The A380 has had one or two nasty incidents but no fatal crashes AFAIK.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 May 2015 09:35

yes, you are right about that.
Cause of accident the same though - software.