General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stupid Question Re Member Number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2015 21:23

How would I find my own membership number?
Would I be correct in assuming that the higher the number, the newer the member?

I was thinking of sending a message to someone with a 8 digit member number starting 122 and wondered if he was a fairly new member.
From what I can see, it seems he registered on GR but did not add any family
It looks like he is the only person on it. ( automatic on signing up)

Another member that I know to be his sister is also registered.
She has a 6 digit membership number and again, trying all the searches her tree consists of just herself and her siblings.
I doubt very much that the sister has ever revisited GR but wondered if the brother may be a recent member?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jun 2015 21:39

Hover over your name with your mouse and it will appear at the bottom left hand side of the screen, :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2015 21:51

Thanks Maggie,
I see that I joined in 2008 and have a 7 digit membership number starting with 88 so perhaps this man registered a good while after me :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Jun 2015 21:56

I wonder who has the oldest membership ??? :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Jun 2015 22:03

Mine is 6 digit number. Not many that post now on chat with 6 but probably you will find some 5 on the search boards.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Jun 2015 22:07

If you click on more pages and go back a long way you will find some 3 or 4 digit numbers. Probably not members anymore.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 19 Jun 2015 22:23

I had a look through messages and found some failry new members ( circa 2011/2)
Their member numbers are lower than the person that I was looking at, so I'm guessing that he joined GR between 2012 and 2014.

I sent him a PM anyway

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jun 2015 22:23

there was one prominent lady with a number 120, but there is / are one or two with smaller numbers than that.....in the early days there was like an avalanche of new members.......a couple of thousand could join each day..........

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jun 2015 22:27

in the early days of fun, parties Christmas cruises it was the thing to change board names willy nilly......I had a bit of a list to try to keep up with who was who..........but that seems to have gone astray......

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Jun 2015 23:08

078583 secret red squirrel

earliest one I have, at the mo...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jun 2015 01:20

I joined in April 2004, and have a 7 digit number that is just over 1 million

Kense

Kense Report 20 Jun 2015 07:20

The membership numbers are allocated in sequence and recently passed 14 million.

You can find who has a particular number, if the account hasn't been deleted.

Just click on any poster's name as if to send a message to them and then alter the number that appears in the URL to the number you are interested in. Then click on the URL and the message for changes to that person.

If it says start typing name of contact then that message number is no longer in use.