General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP! Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jun 2015 01:09

My computer has gone mad.

Last week I copied & pasted a recipe I found on the internet, into a word document.

For some reason, it put a character at the end of every line (the "return" symbol?).

Now I'm stuck with it!

Everything I do in Word has this stupid symbol at the end of every line. An existing document and a new one.

How do I get rid of the thing?

:-(

Mary J

Mary J Report 22 Jun 2015 07:08

There is a button on the toolbar ¶ when pressed it will show or hide formatting symbols.

Hope that helps

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jun 2015 08:25

Thankyou Mary J :-D I'll have a look.

I googled, and found instructions....go to File & click on "options"...... but there isn't an "option" under File! Who writes these things?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jun 2015 08:30

lol

I didn't have the ¶ button, had to add it and make sure it wasn't taking over. I have no idea how I ended up with ¶ ¶ ¶ all over the place, and other weird symbols.

I know they don't appear when a document is printed, but they are soooooooo annoying when they appear all over the document.

Thanks again Mary J :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 22 Jun 2015 17:22

It is just a facility to toggle whether or not you can see formatting symbols or non-printing characters such as spaces, line breaks, tabs etc.
People use it to help lay documents out - very useful when typesetting.

You can toggle the function on and off in Word (usually) by pressing the combination Ctrl + Shift + 8
OR
depending on the version of Word that you are using, you can go to the toolbar/ribbon across the top if it is displayed and click on the symbol that looks like a backwards P (called a pilcrow).

If this doesn't work then you need to tweak a couple of things within Word but you should be fine by doing the above - let me know if it doesn't solve the problem.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jun 2015 17:38

Errol as a linux expert will also be able to tell you that text files ( eg recipes) in linux have the code for line feed [LF] at the end of a line whereas DOS/Windows text files have carriage return+line [ CR LF] feed at the end of a line.

Browsers usually hide the problem but if you copy/paste the file into windows then you may get unexpected behaviour if yr machine is running windows and the original file was formatted using linux convention (possibly on a windows machine). What usually happens is that the original formatting is lost and you may see the LF symbol all over the place.

As Errol says you can turn off the display of special symbols but that won't restore formatting. If you are using WORD just save it as a text file DOS format and it will then appear normally.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jun 2015 08:08

Thanks guys!

I'll copy this info and keep it somewhere safe.

DOS? I thought that went the way of the dinosaurs??

:-(

I have a huge file of recipes, must print them off one of these days....... if I can find space on the Cookbook Shelf ......... I think I have 150 cookbooks........ and yes, I do use them. Even the cookbook I had in high school in the 1960s, it's a bit battered & torn.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Jun 2015 09:13

I won't bore you with the intricacies (or not) of DOS, but it is still very much alive.

Now, what are we having for dinner?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jun 2015 13:08

Not very hungry here, so having soup & bread.

Sweet potato & lentil soup & crusty bread.

want the soup recipe?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Jun 2015 13:20

How to to DOS

http://www.7tutorials.com/7-ways-launch-command-prompt-windows-7-windows-8

and regain control of your machine.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Jun 2015 13:46

I could just do with a bowl of soup, please.

aha the joys of DOS

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jun 2015 14:35

I'll have to hunt for it, but I don't think I have a recipe for dosoup

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Jun 2015 16:03

http://goo.gl/lZ4dBw

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Jun 2015 16:44

Please sir, can I have some more?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Jun 2015 21:52

I'll have a half (a middie) :-D

Beatietoo

Beatietoo Report 27 Jun 2015 14:02

LOL,I have just recieved a diet list from my Dr.and it has those anoying things on just about every sentence^^^^ :-S :-S :-S :-S