General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another Scam......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Jun 2015 15:18

As told via Facebook and asked to share.....

Received a phone call from BT, informing me that he was disconnecting me because of an unpaid bill.. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00 or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even fazed when I told him I was with Virgin Media, allegedly VM have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked the guy's name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - & phone number -0800 0800 152. Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would disconnect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again. Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT. He hung up. I dialed 1471 -number withheld I phoned his fictitious 0800 number - not recognized. So I phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends & family aware of this. How is it done? This is good but not that clever. He gave the wrong number - it should have been 0800 800 152 which takes you through to BT Business. The cutting off of the line is very simple, he stays on the line with the mute button on and you can't dial out - but he can hear you trying. (This is because the person who initiates a call is the one to terminate it). When you stop trying he cuts off and immediately calls back. You could almost be convinced! The sad thing is that it is so simple that it will certainly fool many. By the way this is not about getting the cash as this would not get past merchant services - it is all about getting the credit card details which include the security number, to be used for larger purchases.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 24 Jun 2015 15:21

Thanks for that Mersey.

Chris

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Jun 2015 15:25

:-) Chrissie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Jun 2015 15:25

thanks Mersey.

One can only presume that there are enough people being scammed to make these calls worthwhile.

Had one an hour ago from Lee at the Savers Club. Seems he wanted to save me from unwanted sales calls??? I needed to answer some questions on household spending etc........... :-P :-P :-P :-P

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 24 Jun 2015 15:27

have passed it on!

Mersey

Mersey Report 24 Jun 2015 15:30

Its worth knowing about especially those who do not have Facebook or for the vulnerable.... :-|

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Jun 2015 16:44

I haven't had this one yet, but regularly get emails saying my BT bill hasn't been paid.

As we use BTinternet it's easy enough to check, but as BT put it in Spam.......!!!! :-) :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jun 2015 16:52

If anyone has a dodgy 'call back on this number...' Don't use the phone you've received the call on; either use a mobile or if necessary a neighbours.

Sometimes genuine credit card companies will send an automated voice message if they spot an 'out of character' transaction. Even so, if you do need to reply, use a different phone just in case it's a wind up. You could in that example, use your landline to call your mobile or vice versa, or alternatively phone someone you know just to make sure the line is clear.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jun 2015 17:04

I have heard about that before , so its worth warning folks again about these no conscience scam artists

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Jun 2015 17:52

Thanks Mersey.

....so, why can't the phone companies stop it?

I've had calls all week, apparently about an accident I've had.
Fortunately I haven't been in, but their number appears, and I look online, to see what sort of scam it is.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 24 Jun 2015 20:09

Thanks Mersey......have shared.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jun 2015 21:55

There is one going round now in Canada .......

.......... a phone call from the Canada Revenue Agency to say you owe $1000 in back taxes and it has to be repaid right now.

The agency name is correct, and timing is about right as April 30 is our deadline for filing tax returns, so they could be just sorting out those who owe

............... but they don't phone and demand payment by credit card or bank account number :-)

A lot of people have apparently been caught by it ........... and they even phoned an investigative financial reporter this week. She called the guy on it, and his response was "Canadians are stupid, we've got lots of money from them" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 Jun 2015 22:39

Thanks Mers :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 Jun 2015 23:54

After leaving school, my first job (which lasted 15 yrs) was in BT customer service.

At that time, we had advice for anyone who received nuisance calls, although I doubt if it would apply today?

Keep an old fashioned whistle next to the phone, and next time the nuisance called, blow the whistle as hard as possible,and as close as possible, right into the mouthpiece.

It was enough to burst the caller's eardrum !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jun 2015 00:08

.....probably get sued nowadays, Glasgowlass :-(

After all, they're only 'doing their job', which entails defrauding/irritating/disturbing people to steal their money/entice them to lie/sell them nothing at a vast expense :-|

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Jun 2015 01:17

We have a cheap ansaphone, so often screen calls and only pick up if we recognise the caller. These scammers realise we aren't personally answering and they end the call, which leaves a long bleep on the machine.
If we have been away there are often several bleeps waiting for us, easy to cancel tho

Lizx