General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

correspondence magazines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2015 09:14

Did anyone else belong to correspondence magazines? Either the round robin sort or letter to editor?

For the past 50 years I have belonged to various, some petered out but I am still in two which have been going since the 80s.

Sort of penfriends in a group often sharing a common interest. One of the ones I write to is a group of people who were all interested in walking as a hobby in the 80s. The other is all people who were born in the 40s. I did until a couple of years back belong to a gardening interest one but that folded, however I still have four individuals from that one that I write to. :-) :-) :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2015 11:02

Didn't know such things existed! With the availability of internet forums, its logical that any which are still around won't be profitable for much longer.

Do you remember the international pen-friend organisations that used to be around in the 80/90's? They used to be aimed at school children so that they could improve their written foreign language skills.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2015 12:23

Yes I remember those Det.

Correspondence magazines cost nothing to join, all they cost is your time writing the letters and the postage. I love receiving mine still, now only four letters in one but six in the other as people have unfortunately died, got too old to keep writing or got caught up with other things.

It was the 1960s that I first joined, one was for military wives and the other general. I still write to one lady from the second one, she is in her 80s now, and it was only a couple of years ago that I was writing to two others, both of whom have sadly died. When I say write, although some do still hand write the letters, most of us use the computer these days.

For my generation these were the equivalent of chat forums, somewhere to rant, to ask questions, to get support. We were nearly all young mothers when we started writing in them. There used to be a magazine that was devoted to all correspondence magazines (memory doesn't allow me to remember what it was called), that was a subscription properly printed magazine. And annually there was a big meeting of members of the mags held in London. So the forerunner of our meets!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jun 2015 16:27

There are lots of people viewing, please feel free to comment. If you can that is.