General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The new "green" bin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jul 2015 05:24

The council is giving all residents a new bin... for the weekly green "Organics" collection.

They're also giving us a small kitchen bin/caddy for food scraps..... which will go into the big bin.

The collected rubbish will be composted.

What a good idea........ sort of.

Into the green bin.....

All food scraps, including meat and seafood, dairy and citrus
Bread, pasta and rice
Soiled paper and cardboard (eg pizza boxes)
Soiled tissues & paper towel
Teabags & coffee grounds
Compostable coffee cups and cutlery
Grass clippings
Prunings, leaves, flowers and weeds
and...... council approved compostable bin liners

Meat & seafood????? Citrus?????? I was told many years ago by a gardening expert never to put meat, dairy, citrus, potato peelings or onions into compost.

The soiled tissue reminds me of the thread about flushable wipes...... and I don't think I've ever seen compostable cutlery.

I won't be getting mulch from the council!

:-S

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 1 Jul 2015 06:37

Oh dear, so that's why my beans don't grow as big as Jack's - bad compost. Meat - yes, avoid, attracts vermin. Seafood? Maybe it attracts seagulls. The rest of that stuff gets dumped into my bin except for the cutlery. Was that compostable or combustible?

B

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jul 2015 06:46

The council tip is about 10kms away, over the hill.

So we shouldn't be splattered when the compost heap explodes.

:-(

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jul 2015 08:09

We have had that sort of collection for a few years. The waste is not composted in the usual way but is taken to an Anaerobic Digestion plant.

That process produces biogas and soil conditioner.

This is what the council say about it:
http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/foodwaste

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jul 2015 08:21

Our green garden waste is collected in a separate bin. Our food waste is in another bin, paper, cardboard etc is in the recycling bin. As, I believe ours also goes to an anaerobic digestion plant I guess they must combine garden and food waste at some point.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jul 2015 08:41

we have a brown bin for the same purpose

It can take garden waste as well as kitchen waste but no meat as it attracts vermin.

we also have the small kitchen caddy which is used with biodegradable plastic bags .

I find the bin quickly getsa condensation build up so the bag starts to degrade quickly . it needs emptying way before its full because of this plus often there is a leakage of liquid in the bottom of the bin as you pull out the bag . I use a carrier over the top of it to stop it leaking or breaking up as I pull it up then put it in the brown bin tipping it from the carrier .

They used to supply the bags but now i have to buy them which gets expensive as it has to be emptied every other day . plus i dont want a smell in the kitchen either.

i am finding recycling costs a bit too as we are on a water meter so cleaning cartons , plastic milk bottles etc, before putting em in the recycle bag is money down the sink .

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jul 2015 09:06

We'll have three bins...... the red one for general rubbish, the yellow one for recycle & the new green one.

I hate to think what the green bin is going to smell like in the middle of summer, especially on a day with 35C temp and high humidity. I think we'll have to put a few bricks on the lid, to stop vermin (rats & snakes!) getting in.

The council suggests we store the smelly stuff in the freezer until collection day! Our freezer is stuffed full, no space for rubbish.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Jul 2015 10:05

The schemes are supposed to make money from the sale of recycled products but they don't the financial loss is massive.

Never mind it has created yet another little empire for yr friendly neighbourhood Napoleons.

I have better things to do than sort out domestic waste.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jul 2015 10:08

If the bin is like ours, the lid is locked when the carrying handle is pushed over on one side.

I wouldn't put it past some animals to work out how to open it though. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jul 2015 10:26

Yes the food bin we put out locks, we've had ours a few years now with no problem and we do have foxes and cats around at night.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Jul 2015 16:12

We have a grey bin for glass bottles and jars, which is emptied monthly.

Also we have a food caddy with compostible bags provided by the Council. When full they are put outside in a mini bin which is emptied weekly. I've never had any problem with smells or bags degrading too soon.

Also a blue bin for paper, plastic, cans and drinks containers. Not being modern I still do my washing up in a bowl and they get washed up after the plates etc. This is emptied fortnightly in alternate weeks with

The green bin which is for everything else and in my case, mostly garden rubbish.

Since they gave everyone individual bins with pavement collection, instead of using centralised collection points, the rate of recycling has gone up a lot. I am pretty sure the Council makes a profit on it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Jul 2015 18:42

Well here is one waste disposal group who lost > £ 2milliom 2014/15 and are set to lose another million in the current financial year.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/news/latest-news/dorset-partnership-at-risk-of-further-overspend/

The bottom has dropped out of the recycled paper market, same for glass. The industry is screaming for the govt to ensure that LAs have the money to pay much higher fees to waste recipients and impose a much more proscriptive regime on both business and householders "otherwise 2020 EU targets will not be met". Looking closely at the teeth of Geo Osborne's horse I wish them the best of luck with that.

Tawny

Tawny Report 1 Jul 2015 19:41

We have two brown bins for garden waste, a green bin for paper, cardboard, clean tins and cans and plastic bottles, yoghurt pots and trays. A grey bin for landfill, A blue box for glass bottles and jars, small electrical items like toasters and hair dryers, batteries and clean clothing, towels, sheets and shoes in pairs. We are supposed to put our textiles in a plastic bag ( which we pay 5p for)before they go in the blue box. We also have a food caddy for all food waste. The food caddy gets emptied weekly and everything else is fortnightly.

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 1 Jul 2015 20:20

We have four bins and a waste food caddy - back yard looks like the council tip lol

No room for sitting out cause they take up too much room. We have to empty the food caddy into the bin for garden waste, it stinks, especially in this weather.
I wont get compost from the council, you never know what others have recycled.

Jan

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 1 Jul 2015 20:41

I am biodegradable can my wife put me in and save on funeral costs? :-D