General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lightning

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 09:01

There was the most amazing lightning storm in the distance last night.
- well what I could see of it :-(
Next door have a light on their 'shed' - if you can call a 2 thickness insulated breeze block double glazed with wood burner a shed.
I think it's an 'intruder' light - full 500 watts, shining back at the house (both theirs and mine). I have one too, it is on my house and angled so it covers my garden, and is only 150 watts. However, mine goes off after 30 seconds - theirs doesn't.

So, between the glare from the light, there was the most amazing lightning show last night. :-D

When I went to bed at 1am, flushed the loo, which decided to sound like a foghorn - it doesn't always - grit in the valve - plumber didn't appear when I booked him - did I care?

Graham

Graham Report 4 Jul 2015 09:21

In the news on Friday they said that a number of houses had their roofs set alight after being struck by lightning. :-0

Sue

Sue Report 4 Jul 2015 11:34

We had lots of flash lightning, no thunder and a few spots of rain. As the bedroom windows were wide open, i had a lovely view also.

Maggie, Strangely, our loo has been making a noise like a fog horn when flushed.!!!!!

Something to do with a washer i think. At first i thought it was coming from the Dockyard, not too far away. How weird. Have not come across that before or ever heard of it.
:-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Jul 2015 11:45

Thunder is caused every time God decides to break up some Heavenly boulders using a big sledgehammer. Lightening comes from the sparks created by his excessive hammering.

My mum told me this when I was about 5. So it’s got to be true & I still believe it. :-D

Sue

Sue Report 4 Jul 2015 11:59

Dermont, sorry to have to disappoint you but your Mum told you a fib.!!!!!!!

It was the little tailor who dropped his pins, and had to shine a torch to find them. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

This was from a Teacher in primary school, so there.!!!!

Sue

Island

Island Report 4 Jul 2015 12:03

We had the works! :-0

Dog didn't bat an eyelid :-S

kandj

kandj Report 4 Jul 2015 12:03

Freak storm with hailstones size of golf balls at daughters house in North East on Wednesday. Caused dints in two car bonnets and roof like hit with a hammer. One car assessed as needing £4,500 to repair storm damage and the other car waiting for insurance assessor to look at on Wednesday...... not looking very good at all BUT the houses at the top of their village had NO hailstones at all???!!!!

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Jul 2015 12:11

During thunder/lightening storms, my dad used to unplug the main electricity fuses - just in case.

The flashes of lightening brought occasional 'light' to our darkened house & we'd all make 'the Sign of the Cross' seeking God‘s protection. Goody goody religious we were then!

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jul 2015 12:16

Thank you for that post kandj, I have learned a new word.

I read 'dint' and wondered if you had hit the wrong key because I had never heard it used to mean dent before so I looked it up and it is a real word, both as a noun and a verb.

I know, it doesn't do much for the bonnet of the car though does it?

kandj

kandj Report 4 Jul 2015 13:02

Glad to help extend your vocabulary Sharron and I agree that the dints/dents haven't done much at all for the two cars bodywork. The freak hail stones will prove costly!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Jul 2015 13:39

Sorry but you are BOTH wrong, its God throwing his toys out of the pram after seeing what "HIS" creations are doing to the world

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 19:40

It's God - he/she's stubbed their toe, and the lightning flashes are them swearing :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 19:41

Sue, my friend's loo has started making a sound like foghorn too :-(

Sue

Sue Report 4 Jul 2015 21:32

Really weird Maggie. My OH said he just opened the top of the cistern and messed around with something, and its gone for the minute. :-)

It might be worth a go. Then if you dont have to pay for plumber, you will be feeling 'flush'. Lol
:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 21:44

Mine stopped for a while - then started with a vengeance.
I won't have to pay for a plumber - it's a council house!

The toilet was occasionally refusing to flush, so the contractor came out, fixed that and the foghorn started.
I contacted the council to get an appointment, and was given one 3 weeks ahead - the first week I started work :-(

Contacted them to change it, to a nearer time, was given a Friday afternoon. Then an appointment came up, so phoned them to change it to the morning, only to find, despite my being told it was in the afternoon, that it was in the morning :-S

Anyway, the plumber didn't come at any time on the Friday - he came when the original appointment was made - when I was at work. :-|
I got a phone call telling me he was outside my door.

I really must get in touch with them again, some time when I have a spare week or 3 to hang around in case they turn up :-| :-| :-|

They've also replaced my front gate - and the catch has broken 3 times (it's the postman) and the cheap catch.
I will ask them to replace it yet again, and ask for a sign: 'Please close the gate gently - cr*p fittings' :-D

Actually, I'm contemplating putting a bolt on, or one of those metal 'loops' used to stop ponies getting in.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 4 Jul 2015 21:49

I was wakened at 6am this morning by an incredible thunderstorm and huge flashes if lightning.

Only later, did I remembered the date.
25yrs ago today, my dad died in the early hours of the morning.( 4 Jul 1990)

I remembered that I left the hospital at 6am, just as an enormous thunderstorm broke, exactly like today

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 22:15

Oh, Glasgowlass....... :-(

BrianW

BrianW Report 5 Jul 2015 09:08

We got woken up about 01.30 by tremendous thunder, lightning and heavy rain.
We sleep at the back of the house.
Our daughter and the puppy, at the front, slept through it!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 6 Jul 2015 20:34

I know all about that storm at the weekend, I was camping in it!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jul 2015 22:42

Bet that was fun, Bob :-S