General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Lindbergh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jul 2015 10:54

Did anybody watch that programme about conspiracy theories last night?

I have done a bit more reading since watching it and it turns out that Charles Lindbergh was not a very pleasant man at all.

He was a narcissist and he really did (not conspiracy theory) have three secret families in Europe, none of which knew of the existence of the others. They only came to light after his death.

His was one of the earliest examples of media fame bringing unwarranted power.

Oh, dear, looks like I am going to get stuck into this one.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Jul 2015 14:32

Sharron what channel was it on please :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jul 2015 15:28

Um? I don't know.

It might have been 5.

It was the one about conspiracy theories and this one also covered that guy from the Teamster's Union who was shot and some other stuff.

I can only remember the bit about the Lindbergh baby.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Jul 2015 16:06

Thanks girls :-)

Sharron it's on Thursday and OH is taping
it for me :-)

Joan going to have a look :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jul 2015 22:34

I saw it. Very interesting - *strokes jaw*

...and also enlightening.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2015 11:18

I have recorded it and had a look back on the box.

It was Channel 5 and the other person mentioned was Lord Lucan.

Lindbergh spoke publicly of his interest in eugenics. popular in some influential quarters during the 1930s I believe. How devastating for him that his own child might not be perfect.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Jul 2015 12:28

That's the one my OH is recording for me Sharron, thanks again :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2015 19:06

That's a problem for those who can only endure what they consider perfection. Quick enough to tell others' they're not perfect, their actions aren't 'correct' - but when their idea of imperfection happens to them or their kin - it's a different matter.
Reminds me of the likes of Julie Burchill and Katie Hopkins, both women who have strong ideas and are quick to put others' down.

Burchill wrote a strong piece about young men and suicides in 1999 - they should, essentially be left to get on with it. Her son tragically committed suicide last week.

Hopkins sl*gged off childrens names, declaring some to be 'working class', then went on to say she didn't like “geographical names” such as Brooklyn or London, before it was pointed out that her own daughter’s name is India. “That’s not related to a place,” Hopkins said.