General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

travelling to USA takes years off some women

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 7 Jul 2015 21:24

One Family that travelled to US in 1905 confused me by becoming younger ...especially the women .

In 1901 census 1905 on boats ages

Father was 46 50

mother 36 still 36

Girls M 20 22

B 18 20

T 10 4 misprint for 14?

E 4 5

births from russia + GB + school records indicate that the birkenhead ages were closer but once in Usa they tended to stick to their new ages for marriages census naturalisation
E 's gravestone says b1901 died 1987 her family would have been surprised to learn that she was closer to 90 than the 86 yrs attributed .

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Jul 2015 09:04

'The oldest Irish-born woman has died in Syracuse, New York at the age of 113.

Kathleen Rollins Snavely, who was originally from Co Clare, emigrated to the US in 1921. Born in Feakle on 16 February 1902, Kathleen Hayes is listed in the 1911 census as an eight-year-old "scholar", the second of three daughters at that time to parents Patrick and Ellen Hayes'.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2015 10:26

One of my family, with his wife and children, some of whom had spouses of their own, moved to Brighton in the 1850's.

On the next census the wife and family were all their right ages and he had aged a further ten years.

No problem with that but he then went on to be ninety-seven in real life.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2015 10:49

My lot didn't have to leave the country to get younger, they just moved down the road.

Correct ages for the first two census records, they were 10 years younger in the next one. By then their oldest children had left home. That would have made them about 12 & 10 years old when the first children were born.

:-) :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Jul 2015 18:21

Not unusual to find that ages have only increased by a year or two between censuses.
Lateral thinking often required!

brigid

brigid Report 9 Jul 2015 00:44

what was unusual were mine decreased their ages + kept new ages

why would a 14 year old become 10
and an 8 year old be 5

I know the birth ages are correct + USA census available til 1940 ;these girls kept their new ages throughout

Sis thinks maybe the older ones had better marrige prospects if early 20's rather than late 20's ..I wonder if their husbads knew true ages M + B were same ages as their husbands not 2 years younger +
S/ was not 2 years younger than hubby but 3 years older

brigid

brigid Report 9 Jul 2015 00:50

could the younger ones have had a better chance if they re-did some of their education .in USA ?

despite being born in UK their parents + siblings were Russian born .

They came from a non-English speaking home