General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's official

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2015 23:56

I'm old. I'm now an OAP.

I got my first pension payment yesterday.

:-D

I started the application on 12 May, six weeks before my 65th birthday, and it's taken this long to get it sorted.

The letter from them said "After careful consideration, we have decided to grant this payment". Geez!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Jul 2015 05:30

Wow, lucky you!, What a cheek, hope the amount included backdated payment too

Don't spend it all at once

Lizxx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 05:58

Nope, no back payment. I didn't like the word "grant"........ I've earned the pension, started work when I was 16!

I also got $10.60 Energy supplement (that's per fortnight)... to help with the electricity bill. That should buy a few candles.

I really want the Pension Card ~ similar to a Health Care card, so that I can get cheaper prescriptions, but that won't arrive for another two weeks. My prescriptions currently cost me between $90 & $100 every month :-(

Maybe I should have started this process back in January!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 07:34

oh dear oh dear

I decided to spend some of my pension money on helping myself :-D

Last week I talked to a woman (we're friendly, but not close friends), I had an idea she did some house cleaning. No problem........ she was going to come here tomorrow morning to help me. I can do some things, but with a wonky hip I have trouble bending, and using the vacuum cleaner.

She just 'phoned......... she fell down the stairs last night and broke her arm! Poor girl. As well as that, she & her family (husband & three kids) are due to fly to Bali on Sunday... she reckons she's still going! Maybe not....... there are stories in the news that Bali is a no-fly zone because of volcanic ash!!!!

:-(

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Jul 2015 08:08

You are not old, it is now an age related payment. Old age doesn't start until 80. Hope it's like reaching middle age as it took ages to get there, they keep adjusting up as people live longer. I'm now a middle aged receiver of an age related payment like you. :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 Jul 2015 08:28

PatinCyprus - old age is just something we all gradually grow into, starting at birth, at a maximum speed of 60mins per hour. :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Jul 2015 09:00

I learnt about old age from my gran and my mother.

Gran, dying of cancer and was in dreadful pain, was offered morphine. The first evening the nurse came was as gran was getting ready to go to bingo. Gran told the nurse to come back later as she was off to her last game of bingo and say goodbye to her friends. She never gave in to old age either and referred to many of her younger friends as old because of their attitude.

My mother's answer to me when I asked her, after my sister's 50th birthday (she was 2 months off 80), what it was like having both daughters in their 50s, straight away she said - "I'm not getting any older, you two are catching me up" :-D

Will pass this wisdom on to my two :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 09:34

Age is a state of mind :-D

Some days I wonder about the state of my mind :-S

Barbra

Barbra Report 9 Jul 2015 10:07

Old age what`s That. Tut .Tut no such thing enjoy Being experienced lady ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 10:38

I don't think I'm old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made the comment "it's official" because the Government has given me an Age Pension........... THIEY think I'm old.

:-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 9 Jul 2015 10:51

the drinks are on LadyScozz ;-) ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 12:00

tea or coffee? :-D

Then I'll see what's in the drinkies fridge :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jul 2015 12:25

Are you not paid a pension from the date (or near the date) of your 65th birthday? I noticed you said no back payments.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Jul 2015 13:04

Lady S...you are a young un still...65 ...a toddler ;-) :-D

Robert

Robert Report 9 Jul 2015 13:30

Congratulations on becoming one of us

but you are still a WEE BAIRN compared to some of us

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 13:54

I'm also a cougar :-D

My DH is 6 years younger than I am.

Get 'em young and train 'em right. :-D

or as DH says........... get 'em old, they're already trained.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Jul 2015 20:54

Try this when you need to see the doctor with a knee problem, (or similar). If he tells you that it is your age, tell him/her that the other one is the same age and that one is OK.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jul 2015 22:46

lol Bob........ I tried that, most doctors don't have a sense of humour.

Meanwhile.......... I'm off to the xray place this afternoon, mri on the wonky hip! The other hip is the same age.

:-(

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Jul 2015 23:07

Talking of humour, the dentist put a mask on to start treating me. I said "that mask is a waste of time, I still know who you are".
A friend was about to have an operation and said to the surgeon "After the operation will I be able to play the trumpet?" The surgeon said "Of course you will be able to". My friend said "That's wonderful news, at present I can't play a single note".