General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The budget.. social housing rent rises

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Newby

Newby Report 10 Jul 2015 18:21

So ..anyone over an income over 30k per year outside London stops getting subs and has to pay full market rent..
To me it's about time, why should I , as a tax payer subsidise people who earn more than me to live in Social housing be subsidised while I pay a mortgage ?

Gee

Gee Report 10 Jul 2015 18:47

£30K a year (before tax) is not a great deal of money if there is only one earner in a family of four. Is the limit before or after tax, either way, it's not a lot of money

I do wonder what the outcome will be if people have to pay rents that they simply cannot afford?

An example I heard this week (from a DWP worker) was that in London, a family can be paying £70 a week for social housing and are now facing a possibility of paying £700 per week

Newby

Newby Report 10 Jul 2015 18:54

I have no idea if it is before or after tax.. Pretty sure the government won't introduce this overnight but the question has to be asked, why should people living in social housing, who earn more than many who have bought their own home or are renting privately be subsidised ?

Gee

Gee Report 10 Jul 2015 19:03

In my mind, social housing is for people who cannot afford their own home, for whatever reason and there are many.

I was lucky enough to buy my first home in the late 1990s, if I were to buy the same house now, there is no way I could afford to.

I wouldn't be able to afford the rent for a house in this area today, but I can afford the mortgage!

Counting my blessings

:-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Jul 2015 19:22

Some of these people would dearly love to own their own home and have a mortgage but it's just not possible to afford the deposits required these days. My nephew and his wife live in a rented house - if they could buy it, their monthly outgoings on housing would probably drop by a third. As it is they are constantly broke (both work but don't earn great money).

The cost of renting is ridiculously high - but the costs reflect supply and demand. Don't know what the answer is but it's going to throw more people into dire straits :-(

Newby

Newby Report 10 Jul 2015 19:26

Exactly.. Social Housing is there for people who cannot afford their own home or to privately rent.
The problem arises when the people in Social Housing eventually find themselves in a position where they can afford the latter..
There are people on 60k plus a year still living in Social housing and still being subsidised by the tax payer..
I am not attacking those in Social Housing but maybe there should be a cut off point where peoples income should be taken into account and they should be expected to look after themselves?

Gee

Gee Report 10 Jul 2015 19:35

SheilaWestWilts

I have empathy for your nephew

For the house I bought, I paid just over £3K deposit

Today, I would need to pay at least £35K

The wage earner(s) salary doesn't mean they can afford a deposit for a home.

Sad really

Gee

Gee Report 10 Jul 2015 19:38

Just an 'if'

If people can afford to buy their own home, I can't see why they would prefer to live in social housing?

No accrue of equity if you live in rented accommodation

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 10 Jul 2015 21:56

"Right to buy" bought Margaret Thatcher an awful lot of votes.