General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possibly 1 in every 100

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 11 Jul 2015 01:08

now don´t quote me on this but possible 1 in every 100 dogs is a genuine bad one, the rest are the upbringing they have had. Bit like humans really ....how often these days do we read well he had xxx or this.
A dog bites a child, the nation says destroy. That dog only bit the child, it didn´t take away their innocence.
BUT xxx is allowed to live in luxury in jail.
Even worse is they get everything whist our elderly can´t afford to live.
Treason used to have a hanging law why not now ?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Jul 2015 01:15

I would say 1 in 1000 dogs are 'bad'. Some are turned bad by owners, some can't stand people showing fear (it scares them)
Cats regularly 'attack' but don't have the jaws (and I have cats - never attacked anyone - but my sister's cat is a right b*tch!!) to cause the damage a dog can.
No animal is as bad as a human 'gone wrong'.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 11 Jul 2015 01:19

Maggie I agree

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2015 13:20

"That dog only bit the child, it didn´t take away their innocence."

Pardon? What about their scars, their fear, or even their life? Sorry, but if a dog attacks a child, it can't be trusted ever again.

Even if it had been provoked, that response will still be with the dog. Who knows if/when it would become dominant again.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 11 Jul 2015 13:41

i think truly bad dogs are very rare indeed,

i have had dogs all of my life and never had a bad or difficult one except one that was passed on to me that had severe anxiety problems.

Apart from that one dog i have had all mine from being puppies and trained them myself.

I have always said that no matter how much i loved a dog if one of mine ever bit someone i would have it destroyed.

wisechild

wisechild Report 11 Jul 2015 13:57

Generally, a "good" dog will only attack if threatened in some way.
My cat bites if he is just feeling that way out,as does my cousin´s cat.
They are a very similar age.Ollie is a neutered male housecat, Wes is a neutered female who goes out. Have to admit that Ollie´s is mostly mischievous, such as biting my bare feet when I walk past him, but try to get him to do something he doesn´t want to do & woe betide you :-| :-|
Apparently Wes means business & their local vet wears gauntlets if he has to handle her.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2015 16:00

We always had a dog in our family home and at least 2 cats

We lived in a victorian terrace in SE London the back of which had been stables for the gentry houses but over the years had become a wood yard , They had mice and rats so the houses always had cats to try and keep em getting in the houses.

when i was a kiddy we had Betty a black cocker spaniel . she was a pedigree lady and her kennel name was Lady Betty Lou of Sian

Sadly one day she got out when the dustbin men left the garden gate open and we never found her . Mum did enquire of Battersea Dogs home and put an add in the local but she was never found

After that we didnt have a dog for yonks till dad came home from work saying a colleague had to get rid of his dog a female manchester terrier called Judy aged about 6 . The owners had to get rid cos they couldn't have an animal at their rented property and if they couldnt house her she would be put down

NOW Judy was a cow!! she would be OK with the family but aggresive with anyone else . When me and hubby were courting in1956 she would let him in but as soon as he moved to leave she would be aggressive an frighten OH she would bite him . I would say we are going put Judy outside please so we could move

Over the years Mum could always settle Judy till when she was about 14 and she got so aggressive she went for mum several times so much so Mum got frightened of her and they had to make the decision to put Judy down

Even now if i talk to hubby about Judy he says bloody dog i hated it cos it was so aggressive

I think the original owners told porkies on why they were getting rid of her

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Jul 2015 19:09

I never blame the animal I blame the owner. I had 2 dogs and always kept them well away from visiting children just in case. Any animal can turn even the cats if they are for example feeling unwell