General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Humans

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2015 12:53

Has anybody watched this on Channel 4 ?
Thoughts ?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 13 Jul 2015 13:20

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2015 14:51

Errol is citing a novel written by Philip K Dick best known as the author of "Blade Runner". Blade Runner was of course all about androids.

:-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jul 2015 15:37

We've been recording so haven't watched yesterdays episode yet.

Go down the route of AI and 'awareness' is the next step. Taken to the extreme and you could have the 'Terminator' scenario.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 13 Jul 2015 17:21

The series has taken a lot from Phillip K Dick and Asimov (Three Laws etc).

I happen to think that Blade Runner is one of the greatest pieces ever written and filmed. It is extremely clever and insightful in the same way that Orwell was.

Humans does have some flaws (should that be "humans DO have some flaws" for the literate few around these parts?) but it is largely well written and directed - I also find it slightly reminiscent of the 70s series The Survivors.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2015 19:02

"Let me tell you about my mother"

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0

Blade Runner is a work of pure genius bringing together Philip K Dick, Vangelis, Harrison Ford and James Ridley Scott. I feel Scott's changes from the original novel improve the tale.

"Humans" is based on a Scandinavian series ( again ) and focuses on how humanoid robots might affect daily life in the very near future, middle England. Big jolt.

It is neat but not remotely in the same class as Blade! "Minority Report" or "I, Robot". However by using the small rather than epic scale it is possibly more provoking intruding as it does into the land of The Office police who dunnits and Bake Off.

Orwell's "1984" badly needs a remake.