General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Antivirous help please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 19 Jul 2015 10:18

I need some advice please ,is there another Free antivirous other than AVG I can download,I have full AVG but do not want to pay to renew it ,I am also running Malwarebytes Premium that I pay for I don't think this is enough to run on it's own ...not sure....any advice please.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jul 2015 10:26

I have AVG and took the free offer at first but upgraded it later to get more coverage .

Dont think you can take chances to be honest and will cost more in the long run if you pick up a virus and it needs to be got rid of professionally

you could take a look here though

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-anti-virus-software

Susan

Susan Report 19 Jul 2015 10:32

Shirley

Thankyou I am paying for two at the moment just thought maybe malwarebytes might be enough but I am not sure,I don't want to pay for two all the time.

AVG has been very good must admit Just trying to save a few dollars.

Suex

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 19 Jul 2015 10:38

Microsoft Security Essentials:-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/-download

Susan

Susan Report 19 Jul 2015 10:44

Did not tell I am still running XP and Microsoft is no longer updating security essentials ...I think anyway will double check that though.

Thankyou.

Sue

Graham

Graham Report 19 Jul 2015 11:57

If you are using Malwarebytes Premium and installed another anti-viral software, wouldn't they conflict with each other? :-S I once had two anti-viral softwares on my laptop, and they tried wiping each other out.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Jul 2015 12:01

Do you use familysearch.org?

When that is updated, you can automatically download McAffee, which is free.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Jul 2015 12:05

We have also had conflicting anti-virus software, but at the moment use Malwarebytes and Panda Gold. We had these on XP and still use them on 8.1, with no problems.

I agree with Shirley. Better safe than sorry!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 Jul 2015 14:53

I run Malwarebytes free it works fine with Norton, as I understand it the paid for version will conflict with many security programs as it runs all the time (unlike the free version) and confuses security into suspecting virus activity by trying to control the system.
Better to ditch paid for Malwarebytes and change to a paid for (or free if you wish) security
and just use the free Malwarebytes as a scan on demand back up system.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 19 Jul 2015 15:09

I haveKaspersky((paid for) and also Malwarebytes premium. (premium probably unnecessary).Malwarebytes very good at finding Probably Unwanted Programmes. Did also have ccleaner but computer guru uninstalled it last time, must ask him why

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jul 2015 16:37

It is quite impossible to make XP secure whatever AV product is used, free or not. Hence its demise.

A better option is to install NoScript (free)
To start off this will block everything.It then allows you to grant permissions to web sites either permanently or temporarily. It can be a bit tedious at first and you may want to check some sites out using google. After a bit things sail and along safely lickety spit.
The speed up comes from most of the adware and tracking junk being locked out.

good luck

Barbra

Barbra Report 19 Jul 2015 21:10

Change to windows 7 I did & got Microsoft security Essentials .I changed from Windows XP ,its .very fast & also secure Good Luck