General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ugly Coffin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Jul 2015 00:45

I was driving to the dentist on Tuesday and I passed a funeral cortege at a roundabout.

In the back of the hearse, was the most gawdy looking coffin that I've ever seen.
It looked like crdboard that had been covered in a very old fashioned peach and pink wallpaper
It also had huge pink floral trellis design running through the centre
The top of the casket was covered in the same pink flowers.....but of course they were fresh ones.
I guess that it was an older person who must have loved those pink flowers but, oh dear. It was really ugly!
Each to their own I suppose!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Jul 2015 05:07

Well if the person inside didn't prearrange their funeral and choose such a gaudy coffin, their nearest and dearest must have been determined no one would miss the funeral cortege.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 26 Jul 2015 05:57

It was probably a cardboard coffin decorated by friends and relatives. There is a trend to "natural" funerals and burials. These create new woodlands.

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Jul 2015 07:16

The ravenous worms don’t mind a bit. Apart from metal coffins, the cold slithering worms will make easy chewing of any wooden coffin with their desire to consume its contents. ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Jul 2015 08:07

There is also the trend for 'dead trendy' coffins.........made from all sorts of materials - cardboard, bamboo, wicker etc. They just biodegrade quicker than wooden ones. Presumably they burn faster too.

The words "Earth to earth, ashes to ashes" are applicable to us all in the end - however we are conveyed. :-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Jul 2015 08:21

How about appropriate coffins like those who have died from a bad diet, a giant Pizza box or Bargain bucket. Any other ideas maybe something for men it their 80's or 90's with buxom 20 something wives? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jul 2015 10:35

Get the coffin of your dreams here:

http://www.crazycoffins.co.uk/photos.html

Personally, a cardboard coffin would do me.
I can't see the point in wasting good money on something no one can really appreciate!! :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Jul 2015 10:51

Like the Starship Enterprise Urn!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Jul 2015 10:54

I don't mind what a coffin looks like, so long as I am not looking at it from the inside.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jul 2015 11:31

Bob :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 26 Jul 2015 12:23

Used to work with an old guy anytime we passed a hearse he's comment was "Another poor B****r who can't smell the flowers" always comes to mind when I see a funeral thinking what Wally would say. :-D :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 26 Jul 2015 14:53

I was on holiday on the Isle of Harris last summer.
Our B&B owner was the only male landlord in the area.
He was also the local car mechanic as well as the only.... undertaker!

He had spent his winter creating a new casket which was finished in Harris Tweed.
It was kept in his garage and didn't look too bad .
It was certainly a heck of a lot better than the really ugly thing that I saw on Tuesday.

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Jul 2015 16:35

Cardboard coffins cost more than cheap wooden ones.

In the spirit of no corner knowingly uncut, I had the cheapest possible coffin for Fred, naturally, and asked about cardboard ones.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Jul 2015 17:20

I know a bloke who owns a woodyard and is very handy. He has made himself a coffin, and I am reliably informed that he sometimes has a kip in it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jul 2015 19:04

That's interesting, Sharron.
Have to admit to not actually looking for a coffin yet!!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Jul 2015 20:58

One person makes it, another buys, for it, for someone who doesn't want it.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Jul 2015 08:02

Very few complaints are ever received from coffin occupants. I suspect the deceased has other things to worry about like the real meaning of 'eternity'.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 27 Jul 2015 16:28

I've stipulated a cardboard coffin for me. My attitude is "Why Waste Money on the Dead?" Also said no flowers, only one car and that to be the hearse. Everyone can use their own car to get to crem.