General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

car break in

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 26 Jul 2015 09:01

My friend had borrowed my car for a few days .Fri night somebody broke into it ..there are what looks like screwdriver marks near the keyhole .
Don't know what happened maybe they thought the black windw -wiper pad was an i-pad or phone . there was nothing else to steal (they obviously didn't fancy my tasmanian devil poster

or my car radio-cassette player ! (too oldy worlde"

my insurance may not cover as it wasn't outside my own residence .

anyway it's a good little nissan micra but as i've promised myself to live a car -free life by 2016 I can't be bothered to pay for anything which doesn't need repairing

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jul 2015 09:13

but has your friend got insurance? if so she should be able to claim

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2015 09:28

Assuming she has her own Comprehensive car insurance, she would be covered under that. Unfortunately thats normally reduced if she is in charge of someone elses to 3rd Party, fire and theft...... I think.

Even if you were to be less economical with the truth, (not recommended) just because your were 'away from home' they couldn't reject the claim because it wasn't out side of your house. You could have been having an over-night visit with your friend!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Jul 2015 10:58

I knew someone who was so fed up with his car being broken into that he left it unlocked with a note saying "the car is not locked, there is nothing in it worth stealing". He came down one morning to find it had once again been ransacked, and a note "just checking"

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jul 2015 14:34

Surely, as it was parked, there shouldn't be a problem.
It's not as if your friend had an accident.
If you had gone shopping, parked your car, and it had been broken into, would there be an issue?
Likewise, if you were parked and a car rammed into your parked car (wherever it was), it would be the other drivers fault.
You can't determine where/when your car may be broken into, nor when or where it may be run into/damaged, when parked therefore your insurance should cover it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Jul 2015 15:32

Most car insurance policies have an "excess" for £ 200-400 and will only pay the cost of the claim over the excess. Thus it would be pointless claiming for, say, a SatNav or radio.

Tyres are not usually covered despite the expense but windscreens are, mostly.

Contrary to popular myth most policies cover named drivers only and not other family members let alone friends whether they hold insurance on other vehicles or not. Where the insurance does extend to allowing another person to drive the car the insurance is usually limited to third party only and not fire/damage/theft.

Children, whether or not living at their parent's address, being usual driver of a car registered to and insured by parents are NOT insured even tho they pass the ASKMID test. Quite a few people find this out the hard way.

Insurers expect all bumps and thefts to be reported to them whether the basis of a claim or not. They have been known to refuse a claim when this is not done. They have their sources of information especially for body repairs.

It is the insurer who determines "fault" not the insured. Very often insurers do not pursue the other party due to "knock for knock" agreements between insurers whether the insured likes it or not. Hence the wisdom of insuring your no claims bonus.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Jul 2015 17:24

If it costs more than £500 to repair, pay for it yourself. It will be cheaper in the long run, what with the excess and what they whack on next years premium. Don't fall for the "protected no claims bonus" scam, they always have another excuse to put your premium up.

brigid

brigid Report 26 Jul 2015 20:30

Thanks all .my friend is joimntly on insurance with me tho living at separate address he is the main driver as uses it for work ..I tend to bus to work and use it for social ...we got a really good deal with SAGA insurance ..tho he's under 50

he didn't report it to police nothing is broken except front door lock ..My brother-in -law can gice me a quote for th e damage .I'm tempted just to leave it unlocked especially as my area doesn;t have vandals

Tho i did used to leave a car open at night = thought it smelt strange a few mornongs running ..set off earlier the next day for work + caught a tramp inthe act of leaving his "night lodgings" ie my comft car !

brigid

brigid Report 26 Jul 2015 20:30

Thanks all .my friend is joimntly on insurance with me tho living at separate address he is the main driver as uses it for work ..I tend to bus to work and use it for social ...we got a really good deal with SAGA insurance ..tho he's under 50

he didn't report it to police nothing is broken except front door lock ..My brother-in -law can gice me a quote for th e damage .I'm tempted just to leave it unlocked especially as my area doesn;t have vandals

Tho i did used to leave a car open at night = thought it smelt strange a few mornongs running ..set off earlier the next day for work + caught a tramp inthe act of leaving his "night lodgings" ie my comft car !

brigid

brigid Report 26 Jul 2015 20:32

sorry i wasn't around to read your suggestions i was at work taking 1 guy to the swimming pool + next shift to cinema (inside Out" then family meal at my mums .