General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Canadian Election Campaign .........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2015 18:01

Our PM went to see the Governor-General this morning.

Parliament has been dissolved

Election date as set in law is October 19

11 flippin' weeks of campaigning :-0 :-0

When the latest date for holding an election was set as the third Monday of October in the fourth calendar year following the polling day for the preceding general election ...... they forgot to set a date before which the election could not be called. We usually have campaigns that last about 3 weeks :-(

PM's rationale for calling it so early made me laugh out loud .............. "the other 3 parties have been campaigning for months, so the government has to also be able to start campaigning."

The Government party has only been using government money for the last 12 months as election fodder, including advertising ................. things they can not do during a campaign! They've given away must be close to $300 million in the last week alone.

Of course, most of it will only apply if they get back in

OH and I have come to a mutual decision ...... we will not be discussing politics at home

Not that we disagree with each other ......... we just get so mad at the PM

it's going to be "anyone but him and his party" for us!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Aug 2015 18:26

Sympathis with you asylvia, our long campaign was painful and boring.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2015 18:43

Ann

this is already utterly boring!

and I fear it will be painful.

The party in power only know how to do nasty attack ads on their opponents ................. on the people not their politics. :-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Aug 2015 18:55

It seems an extraordinarily long time to be without a Parliament.

Presumably in a National emergency the Government could be recalled, but would they have a mandate?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2015 19:04

DET

that is a good question!!

I think the mandate does not end until the election is over and all votes counted

I'm sure this PM would take up the reins again whether it is allowed or not ............... he breaks all and rules whenever he wants to, and then bulldozes legislation through Parliament to get what he wants. He does have an absolute majority.

He brought in a Fair Election Act a few months ago, with lots of clauses and "things spread over many pages.

People are only just beginning to realise some of the things tucked away in the small clauses ............. some of these will effectively disenfranchise some people from being able to vote.

For example, documents and papers that you could previously use to verify your right to vote will no longer be allowed ......... eg, you could use a Voter card received in the mail that showed you were entitled to vote along with picture ID. That Voter card is no longer allowed, and you have to have 2 pieces of ID, one of which has to be photo ID with address on it.

Lots of people don't have that ............... I don't!! I don't drive so don't have a driving license, so I usually use my passport as photo ID but that doesn't have your address on it. I'm waiting to see what else I can use ............. otherwise, I will have to pay to get a non-driver's driving license ID.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 2 Aug 2015 19:59

Oh yeah, more of " Justin, maybe someday, but he's just not ready" That's the only one we ever seem to get, over and over again ARRRGGGHHH

My question is "Is anyone ready to ran a country when they start out" and his father was PM once so he does know something about it.

I hate voting, I never know who to vote for, except for not Stephen.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2015 21:14

RMS ............

I heard on the radio the other day that that ad is backfiring on the Tories .............. a recent poll showed that more undecided were moving to the Liberals than to the Tories as a result of the ad :-)

Plus ............. Stephen was about the same age as Justin when he ran. He forgets that little bit.

Apparently a new attack ad is due to appear, using that same group of people, and will go after Tom Mulcair ......... portraying him as an unethical opportunist who looks out for himself at taxpayers' expense, a "career politician" the country can't afford.

I think the best thing would be if Tom and Justin would work together, not running candidates against each other in strategic ridings ......... if they split the vote between them, Stephen will come right up the middle and get in again.

If he does ............. it's got to be a minority party, Canada can't take another of his majorities!

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 2 Aug 2015 22:45

Is that who put out that ad :-0 I'm to busy yelling at the TV to notice.

You mean no more telling people what they can say, no more telling people what they can think :-( I don't know if that would work anymore people are so used to Stephen making decisions for them. and handing out money. Except none of that money comes to me. I don't have children 18 or otherwise, etc

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Aug 2015 03:41

Yes, that ad is put out by the Conservative Party ..... the symbol is to the bottom right of the screen at the beginning of the ad, but disappears very quickly. It took us about 6 showings before we were convinced that we had read it!

There's a version of it on the radio as well .............. at least on News1130 here.

Nothing comes to us either!

We do get pension income splitting, but that's been in for years.

As a scientist married to a scientist, I'd love to know what it really going on in government science circles, with whale research, bear research, climate change, etc etc ........... instead of what the PMO allows to be told