General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hells bells

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 Aug 2015 09:17

I don't like the new set up on Ancestry

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2015 09:25

Many people have the same opinion as you. However those who dislike it are the most vocal! There's a thread on geneological chat you might be interested in.
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1353948

You can change back to the old version (for a limited time)
Hover your cursor over your user name and click on that option. You do have try and explain why you don't like it.

Phyll

Phyll Report 14 Aug 2015 10:42

Well I can't get back to the old version and how do you change ALL the errors AC has made regarding place names, i.e. brighton, Sussex - they have Brighton, New Jersey. I don't pay good money to have my trees messed about with - I am quite capable of doing that myself.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2015 10:49

Oh dear! Have they withdrawn the reverting option already??

Its really interesting reading the various links on the GC thread - many many people have the same annoyance over the place names.

Ancestry's IT bods seem to have forgotten that they have subscribers and data bases completely outside the US. Its not surprising as such a large proportion of US citizens don't know what's going on outside their State let alone in the rest of the world.

GinN

GinN Report 14 Aug 2015 11:33

I changed back to the old Ancestry last night.This is how I did it .

Look for your name on the top right hand corner after you have signed in. On the right hand side of your name there is a little triangle. If you click on that, you should get a drop box, and at the bottom of the drop box, it says Old Ancestry. Click on this, and it will take you to another page which asks you the reason you want to change back. Click on your reason, then go to bottom of page, and I think there is a button in the middle to click to reinstate old Ancestry. Then ignore any pop ups asking you if you want to improve Ancestry.

Good luck, Detective and Phyll- I didn't like the new format either! If enough of us change back, then maybe they will keep the old format.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 14 Aug 2015 11:36

I can still revert to the old style Ancestry. by clicking on my name and selecting from the dropbox.

The place names are wrong on the biography part, but seem to be correct on the individual profiles now.

Considering 99% of mine were born, married and died in Sussex.......it was a shock to find both USA and German places were suddenly there :-0

Hopefully they will sort out the glitches soon.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Aug 2015 12:09

I switched back within the hour of trying it. Luckily, despite signing out and back in, I haven't been forced onto the 'new and improved' site. :-D