General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Open University

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Aug 2015 13:42

Has anyone done any modules, or a full-blown degree course?

I am dithering at the moment over a Level 2 module, not really concerned about the course content but more about the support/user forums. Has anyone any recent experience? x

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Aug 2015 13:55

I did a full degree with the OU but it was between 1986 and 1992 so not very recent. The support then was excellent. I was allocated a tutor-counsellor in the first year and though I moved on to other tutors in later years, my counsellor stayed with me throughout. She and all the tutors were always available on the end of a phone and you could set up your own self help group with other local students.

My experience of the OU was very positive so I'd say go for it

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 20 Aug 2015 10:01

Thanks Vera, I'm probably going to go for it... :-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 20 Aug 2015 12:07

Not quite the subject you're asking, but if it's any help - I did a Post grad distance learning course with the University of Dundee recently - didn't think much of their 'support' to be honest.
Just curious...do you mind me asking what it is you're thinking of taking Sheila?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 29 Aug 2015 11:20

Karen - not really sure at the moment, am trying to decide whether to go down the 'science' route or not... :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Aug 2015 13:56

Good luck with it Sheila :-) My SIL did a degree course with OU over a lot of years, and got her degree last year.