General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strange things happening.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Aug 2015 22:06

There are some wonderful, weird, spooky, maybe worrying, strange things going on in my house.

A couple of weeks ago whilst walking Mini I noticed the flat door ajar. When I got back in I went to check it and yes it was slightly open. Now I had been up there 2 days previously but I know I double locked the door, or did I ? but we had, had some winds since I was last up and the door would have been either wide open or slammed shut. Nothing was missing and the main gates are always locked.

I went to put the kettle on and the switch wouldn´t click down, it only does that when it has just boiled, and the water was hot. OH had left for work 30mins beforehand. I had been in the shower and then the bedroom.

Tonight a door we have never used as we have it blocked off in the room with a set of drawers was open slightly. The only way to do that is to use the handle and it has never been used since we moved in, never have we tried it and we don´t use the room behind the door anymore.

I am sure there is a rational explanation, but what I couldn´t guess. I am also sure there are many other explanations which I am not sure I want to guess at
:-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Aug 2015 22:13

As far as the kettle goes Uzzi, mine was going on by itself, I would be sitting here thinking I'd like a coffee and would hear it click on in the kitchen as if by magic.

What seemed to be happening was that when it boiled it didn't quite click off entirely, then when it had cooled down to warm rather than hot it would click on again. I turn it off at the wall at night otherwise I can hear it going on at regular intervals :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 20 Aug 2015 22:36

Rose it´s a new kettle and it definitely clicks off when it´s boiled.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Aug 2015 23:38

Hard to find explanations Uzzi but why not try switching the kettle off at the main or return it for an exchange. Put some sticky tape or such across the door which was open. As for the flat door, I have no suggestion lol

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Aug 2015 23:42

Oooo-errr - just tell it to go away!!

My mum was verily heavily pregnant with me, and in the bath, when she 'saw' the ghost of her father (who had died a few - less than 6 - weeks before).
She just told him to go away, as he was embarrassing her - and he did! :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Aug 2015 00:04

Liz the kettle doesn´t worry me, it meant I didn´t have to wait for my 2nd cup of the day..
The door tonight was strange we have been here over 2 yrs now, IT has never been opened or ever opened itself. Why tonight is beyond me.

Maggie lol I believe the only person who has died in this house is my mother and if she wants to make coffee for me ..well that´s a 1st. If it ain´t her then I am not sure I want them to go away (if they are going to sort my morning coffee out ) Do you get the feeling I have copious amounts of coffee in the mornings :-D :-D
As my dogs are happy in the house I can´t have ghosts :-0

It´s just strange :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Aug 2015 00:13

Mum wasn't in the house her dad died in........

BUT if the dogs are happy - all's okay :-D

My cats occasionally stare at the small area between the front door and the stairs. It's probably a teeny tiny bug flying about :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Aug 2015 01:14

I shouldn´t say dogs I only have the 1 now difficult to remember when typing. but Minx used to occasionally bark at corners she was a nut case mind. Mini is cool about the house, in fact she is so laid back now her feet wave at the ceiling.

*wonder if I can train "the ghost" to do the washing up *

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Aug 2015 05:57

Worth a try Uzzi lol

Lizxxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Aug 2015 08:40

Well, there was that day that Minx appeared in the flat to have a nose around :-S :-S. I would say, maybe you were rushing and didn't quite shut the flat door properly and a gust of wind shook it open. But spooky as you say.

Rather like the last time we were at daughters and sleeping in the room where our son in law died. She has bedside lights that switch on when you touch them. In the night I woke up realising my light was on, thought I must have touched it in my sleep. got up, went to the loo, coming back into the room realised that OH's light was also on!!!! When I said to daughter in the morning she said it was Jon saying 'what are you doing in my bed?' But spooky!! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Aug 2015 09:08

There's probably a logical explanation like wood shrinkage or dodgy electrics, but even so it might be an idea to check out hiding places in the flat. Don't forget any loft space!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Aug 2015 09:34

The flat is pretty secure Det, it is behind a high wall and high locked gates with a barky guard dog. Not sure there is a loft, nowhere else to hide.

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Aug 2015 10:44

It will be your mother.

Mine had the television off the wall didn't she?

Let them get on with it if it gives them pleasure.