General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

memories from the past???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Aug 2015 19:24

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatpicturegalleries/9158591/Favourite-British-sweets-in-pictures.html?frame=2173981

The only sweets I didn't know where the Everton peppermint and ones introduced in the 1960s, like the flying saucer.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 21 Aug 2015 19:38

Hi Sylvia. I Hope you are well.
It's a long time since I had those babies!
Do you recall Pontefract Cakes / Teacakes? (Guess where they originated!)
They were about the size of a quarter, 1/4 inch high, and coated with exceedingly fine sugar.
One of my favourites and very chewy inside.
Haven't had 'em - or seen 'em - for years.
Loved 'em!
Talking of exceedingly, Mr. Kipling made 'exceedingly good cakes'.
(From the voice of James Hayter.)
Can't forget 'Lubbly Jubbly' orange juice from 'Sveden'.
Someone had the brilliant idea to freeze them and cut the top off.
Pushing them up gently one could suck on them for quite some time.
Just the ticket for the hot weather!

Very happy memories of yesteryear.

Added: I see they have Pontefract Cakes as liquorice.
As they are likely correct, what is the name of 'my' sweet?
I know it was named after a place.
I will have to put my thinking cap on over this puzzle!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Aug 2015 20:13

My, that brought back memories, Sylvia! I remembered a lot of them but not the later ones since I left England in 1952.

One of my favourites was Pontrefact Cakes, Barry, and yes definitely liquorice.

Another favourite was what we called liquorice and kalai (that's what it sounded like). I have asked different Brits if they knew of such a thing and nobody had but I see it's called Sherbet Fountain. Have you ever heard of it by the name liquorice and kalai, Sylvia?

Edit: Sorry I didn't write that right. It sounded like kay lie. Anybody heard of it?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Aug 2015 20:16

I well remember Pontefract cakes ......... they came over the border into Lancashire :-D The ones I remember were all licorice, just as they have in the article.

I don't recall the ones you're remembering ............. but then I'm a Lancashire lass :-D

we have a bag of licorice allsorts in the drawer right now, a present to OH at Christmas.

and a tube of Rowntrees fruit pastilles is in the same drawer ............. probably well dried out now as it's been in there for several years, we've been hoarding it as we know we won't get another for years!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 Aug 2015 20:31

Barry are you thinking of coconut teacakes?

Sylvia I've eaten all of those apart from the liquorice which I detest

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Aug 2015 21:16

Now that brings back a load of memories of the 1p sweet shop at the end of our street.

Margee,stick of liquorice and kailai was one of my favourites.

Shopkeeper would weight out and ounce of kailai into a little bag and put a stick of hard liquorice in all for 1 old pence.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Aug 2015 21:26

Margee ....

sorry I missed your post :-(

I knew it as Sherbet Fountain :-)

Claire ............. I loved licorice, have even made myself very ill on occasion!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Aug 2015 21:28

Yes, Sue. that's what I remember! You're the first person ever to confirm my memory. Was it possibly just a Yorkshire thing?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Aug 2015 21:31

I can remember the sweets man making up the sherbet fountain in twists of paper ............. but we called it sherbet.

I lived just the other side of the Pennines, literally in the foothills, but definitely Lancashire not Yorkshire :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Aug 2015 22:03

Margee,
I think it was just a Yorkshire thing..Can still buy it at the sweet shop

This sweet shop is famous..

http://www.yorkshire.com/view/attractions/the-oldest-sweet-shop-in-england-1423633

Fantastic shop they have everything in the old fashioned sweets..all are YUMMY

Now I will get your memories going and your tastebuds
http://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/

Just take a look at what you can buy....

EDIT,,,,you can even order online...which is great.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Aug 2015 22:31

temptress

:-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Aug 2015 01:21

SPANGLES!!! Who remembers the 'acid' Spangles :-D

They didn't include 'Imps'.
My friend Elaine and I used to see how many we could shove in our mouths, and still manage to sing, while we were at church.

Nearest thing to them are these:
http://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/mighty-imps

Barry_

Barry_ Report 22 Aug 2015 04:23

I have been (w)racking my brain all day to think of the sugar coated sweets I liked so much.
They might be Gray's Tea cakes:

http://www.grumpyssweetshop.com/tea-cakes

or Riley's tea cakes.

Could be marzipan teacakes:

http://www.oldestsweetshop.co.uk/marzipan-tea-cakes

I used to buy them in Barry, Mid Glamorgan, in the mid 1960s.
I was sure they were named after a town. No, it definitely was not Barry!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2015 13:50

Ooh! Yummy!!

I loathed pear drops and don't recall Pontefract cakes - but everything else on that list :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

When I was young our sweets were sold to us by a blind man. All the little sweets were set out in a cabinet so he could find what we wanted. I can't remember if he could do the jars - I couldn't afford to buy them.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 22 Aug 2015 17:58

Saturday morning and 3d to spend in the sweet shop.....So much to choose from.

I usually went for 2oz of something from the sweet jars and 4 fruit salads or a penny chocolate bar.

Those were the days :-D

Chris

Annx

Annx Report 22 Aug 2015 18:09

We used to buy a quarter of Kayli that would be measured out from a big sweet jar into a cone of white paper and the top twisted as has been said. I think I remember some being called rainbow Kali in layers of different colours. It fizzed nicely in the mouth!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Aug 2015 21:37

That's what I remember, Annx, the fizziness in the mouth. You know I've been in Canada for 63 years and that's how long I've been asking about liquorice & kailai. Nobody but nobody had ever heard of such a thing. Finally I have confirmation that there was such a thing and I didn't dream it up!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Aug 2015 21:48

I seem to remember that we could occasionally buy the sherbet with a little straw. You sucked the sherbet through the straw into the back of your mouth

and choked :-D