General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 25 Aug 2015 09:32

My next door neighbour had an email purportedly from me this morning.

1. I don't know their email address
2. The email address showed my name and number but not the extra but. It was showing as my name, number @access internet.

Has someone got into my computer can anyone tell me and what should I do about it.

Sorry to appear thick but I don't have much idea about these things

Many thanks

Phyll

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Aug 2015 09:50

Do you have an email address which ends @access?

Although not familiar with the protocols, if you do, then change your password. If you are 'friends' with her on facebook or other social network sites, change your password on those as well.

If you don't have an @access account, its a phishing email. If she's opened it, she needs to run a scan.

Phyll

Phyll Report 25 Aug 2015 10:04

Thanks DetEcTive

I don't have an @access account and am not on any social network.

Kind regards
Phyll

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 25 Aug 2015 10:57

Always worth giving a plug to https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Well worth downloading and running as a second "opinion" if you suspect a problem.
You will be given a 30 day free trial of the paid version, switch off / cancel that at once as the paid for one runs all the time and can conflict with your existing security.
The free one is a stand alone run when you want to product. ;-)

Phyll

Phyll Report 25 Aug 2015 11:17

Thanks Mayfield