General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another medical question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Aug 2015 06:54

Anyone had a Hip Arthroscopy?

:-(

I saw the orthoaepedic surgeon this morning. I've had physiotherapy, cortisone injections that didn't help............. xrays & mri's...... didn't show much wrong either.

I'm booked in for 9th September for an Arthroscopy, will probably have to stay in hospital overnight.

I may or may not need crutches..... anything from a few days to a few months!

Avoid stairs he said........ how do I do that in our house? We're on a very steep block, the house is three stories!

Just recovering from the two b*m probes, now this!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 Aug 2015 13:28

No, I had a THR and then a revision.

If you are a good candidate you should do very well :-D

Good luck

Sue x

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Aug 2015 15:54

What's a THR? :-S

I've been reading the blurb from the doc..........part of it states "do not shave ANY part of your body for two weeks prior to admission" (it's less than two weeks until I have to get there). OK, so no shorts or sleeveless tops for a while...... but why? Where they're going...... my hip... I've never shaved! Who shaves their hips? :-S

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this done (the procedure, not the shaving), and how long should I expect for recovery?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 Aug 2015 18:51

Sorry Uzzi, total hip replacement, then I had it re-done..lolol

No shaving in case you nick your skin and that's an open invitation for an infection which could travel to the operated site.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 31 Aug 2015 19:00

i have had a thumb arthroscopy and reconstruction using a ligament from my arm, it has been very successful but had to wear a splint for 6 weeks and it was sore for some time after that,3 months recovery but 6 months to having any real strength.
You don't say what reconstruction you are have or are you having a replacement joint?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Sep 2015 00:06

I've had bursitis in my right hip for years (at least 13 years); it's got worse over the last couple of years, now it's really painful, and I have no life!! I can't walk more than 100 metres (even that is pushing it) without feeling like my hip is on fire.

The doc is going in for a look... he says there are probably some little tears that don't show up on xrays or mris (I don't know why), and he may be able to repair them.

There's nothing wrong with the hip bones, just the bursar.

This is my reward for keeping fit in my younger years :-(

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 1 Sep 2015 09:42

Ah right, then if he is not removing any bone then you should recover quite quickly.. good luck with it... :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Sep 2015 10:57

Himself has been told to clear a path in the garage.

We have a double garage (two big wide doors), and the car sits in the driveway. The garage is chockablock with tools & other boys' toys. We've lived here over 8 years, and the car has never been inside.

It would be too difficult for me to hobble down the the front path, it's too steep.... I'll have to make my way through the garage, up 6 steps, through the kitchen, then 10 steps to upstairs where the bedrooms are.