General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last night...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 31 Aug 2015 20:42

...the police helicopter was flying around (again) with the bright searchlight on. This morning we learnt that they had shot dead a man brandishing a gun. This was in the block of flats which I can see from my front door about 100 yards away. Getting a bit too close for comfort.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2015 20:45

live in a rough area then Bob ;-)

a few years back a police helicopter fell out of the sky and dropped on a house not far from here - just about demolished it and all the aviation fuel flooded the house - fortunately no one was killed and the house owners made an absolute fortune out of the disaster

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 31 Aug 2015 20:58

I saw this on the news and thought "thank goodness I got out of London". There's just too much trouble up there atm

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Aug 2015 20:58

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/31/man-shot-dead-by-police-in-north-london

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2015 21:04

Don't think anywhere is totally safe now.

With a few exceptions, we can normally say that the victim and assailant were known to each other.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Aug 2015 21:08

I would never live in London again. I left there in 1970 and never regretted it at all.

I see the helicopter a lot as one is based just over the back of our house, noisy beggar :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 31 Aug 2015 23:58

We often have police helicopters with search lights above our house.
Occasionally, it's stolen cars they are tracking, but mostly they are seaching the hospital and surrounding area for missing, vulnerable people

The psychiatric unit is on the other side of a fence, just yards from my house.
My mum was often a patient in this ward and I know it very well.
The only fire door leads out to an unlit, tree lined lane ( and the same fence) where a patient can vanish into the dark in seconds!

Ann
A number of years ago (25yrs) a police helicopter crashed close to where I live.
The outcome was not so good as it crashed into a block of flats
I knew one of the young policemen involved who was his early 30's with 4 very young children.
It was tragic.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Sep 2015 09:47

they're over my house all the time - I live just a short distance from the M4 and across the road is a large psychiatric hospital - they're either looking for someone or checking on the traffic on the M4 - they are very noisy - but very necessary I suppose