General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Singer Joy Beverley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 2 Sep 2015 22:36

Dear All

Hello

Singer Joy Beverley of the Beverley Sisters passed away aged 91.

Joy was the eldest sister in the trio, who were known for songs including "Little Drummer Boy" and the Irving Berlin standard "Sisters".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joy was born in 1924, and the twins Babs and Teddie, in 1927.

They were brought up in Bethnal Green in east London.

Their parents were George and Victoria Beverley were music-hall artists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the Second World War the girls were evacuated to the Midlands.

They secured a contract to become "Bonnie Babies" in an advertising campaign
for the bedtime drink Ovaltine.

Radio appearances for the BBC followed - with support from bandleader Glenn Miller they became professional singers, renowned for their close harmonies
and glamorous lifestyles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1951, the trio signed a recording contract with Columbia Records that helped them become the highest paid female act in the UK, earning more than £700 a week. At the time, the average weekly wage was £5.

They were the first British female group to break into the US top 10 and enjoyed chart success with Christmas records like I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joy married England Footballer Captain Billy Wright in 1958 and felt that she wanted to give up performing.

The trio reunited in the 1980's and entered the Guinness Book Of Records in 2002, as the world's longest surviving vocal group without a change in the line up.

The same year, they sang for the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at a Jubilee concert.

In 2006, the group were made MBEs for services to music, and arrived at Buckingham Palace - as always - in identical outfits.

Rest in peace, Joy and thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Joeva

Joeva Report 3 Sep 2015 00:18

R.I.P Joy.

I remember them singing 'Sisters' ........ many years ago.

I was one of six girls in my family and we used to try to emulate them by singing that song :-)......... unfortunately not quite as harmonious as them! :-D

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 3 Sep 2015 22:21

Dear Joeva

Thank you for replying. <3

Take gentle care
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Sep 2015 08:04

I remember them well. They have done amazingly well to have reached such good ages. I was fascinated by the most recent pictures of them and how alike the twins are, even in old age. A talented family indeed. <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2015 10:35

They were one of my mums favourites along with Donald Peers and Alma Cogan .

We had a small 12 inch tele in a big cabinet with rolling doors that went over the screen for protection .

Mum would make a bit of a ceremony opening the doors for sat/ Sunday television and loved programmes like Sunday Night at the Palladium .

Babs did very well to reach such a good age .RIP