General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lazy Weekend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 10:28

I am having a wonderfully relaxing weekend, sitting at the kitchen table reading comments on Genes, no intention of showering until later as it's much more fun reading everything. Saturday was just the same.

OMG do I love retirement because (apart from my regular coffee mornings) I can do this every day with a good book as a standby.

Only one regret, I wish I could have afforded to retire at 25.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2015 10:31

Good to hear you're enjoying retirement. We laughed at a radio item yesterday afternoon. The person said she enjoyed not bothering to get dressed until 2.30 in the afternoon. It struck a chord :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 10:40

That wasn't me, Detective, but in the winter when the snow's on the ground, I heeded my friend's and her daughter's advice to have pyjama days. Eventually (after much persuasion) my OH joined in.

Oh, the freedom with no timetable to adhere to. OH not liking it as much as I am but I can certainly recommend retirement.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Sep 2015 11:12

Oh, I'm so envious. I spent most of the past few years of my working life looking forward to retirement (sad, I know) then I discover the Government have moved the goalposts! Instead of retiring next year. I have (at the moment) another 7 years to go. :-S :-| :-|

If I can't carry on working for 7 years - and I'm pretty well fed up/ exhausted now, I'll have the joy of either paying bedroom tax, or being thrown out of my home of 30 odd years!

No pressure then!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 11:22

Sorry to hear that Maggie.

I think the policy-makers forget that not everyone can claim £300 per day for swanning into a building, staying for a very short while, then swanning out again.

Some people have much more tedious and strenuous work to contend with and for many it becomes impossible.

Gives one an insight into just how easy it is for some to say yea or nay when it comes to making decisions affecting thousands of people. We need more accountability methinks.

Dermot

Dermot Report 6 Sep 2015 11:50

Sometimes when I feel lazy, I do it brilliantly. :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 12:55

I'd swan in for £300 per day and I'd even stay for my subsidised lunch and afternoon tea before swanning out at about 4 pm.

It'd be a little too long a day for some of our peers though.

About time those who could not stay from about 10 to 4 were pensioned off. Ooh, what am I saying, a lot of them are already in receipt of pensions. Slap my hands for saying naughty things.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Sep 2015 13:21

... and now, at 1.20 pm, I think I'll swan along and see to my ablutions.

Bye for now.