General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do not judge.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Sep 2015 16:17

a book by it's cover.

Today my doorbell rang (I am on my own today). I answered and there was a bewildered looking chap standing there.

I said "hello" and he seemed to be having trouble speaking. First thought - is he ill? not is he drunk? I have learnt that from knowing people with neuro problems as well as my own.

Finally he said "I think I'm at the wrong house". After questioning him for a minute or two to try and see which house he needed his tremors became distinctly worse. He asked if he could sit on my step, I said no come and sit in a chair.

It transpires he is 44 and has been suffering from Parkinsons for the past 7 years.
I brought him a glass of water and enquired as to whether he had taken his meds (he had just prior). We sat together and chatted about family and his are from where we lived in West Wales, yes it's a small world.

He said to me "there is a god because it was your door I knocked on" lolol as an atheist I didn't reply but to be fair he could have knocked on most doors here and would have received the same welcome.

We decided he had put the wrong postcode in his sat nav and he said he felt well enough to sit in his car and try to sort out his address problem.

I remained outside for 10 minutes, as I had told him to come straight back if the fog hadn't cleared. I then came indoors and watched him from the window. After another 10 minutes he looked to be organised and drove off (hopefully to the right village).

How would you or your neighbours reacted? I certainly know in some areas he would have had the door shut in his face.

I just hope that he is OK and will find the right house and keep himself safe.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 7 Sep 2015 16:31

If he looked like George Clooney I'd of took him in, then locked the door :)

A couple of weeks ago, a lady delivered a parcel to me, I'd never seen her before, but she commented on what an interesting house I had, she could see down the hall, I told her that I had loved the house as soon as I entered the hall, and more or less decided to buy it before we looked in a room, she seemed intrigued, so I invited her in to have a look round.

I've also had someone knock on the door to ask if I had a tissue, as they had cut their hand, I invited them in, let them use the bathroom, and gave them a plaster. We've had a Swami in the house (long story) a child who ran away from school, and knocked on the door, and if I've seen people nearby who have looked like they needed help, and invited them in, it's second nature to me to help.

I'm certainly not special, but I don't think a lot of my neighbours would do the same, I put it down to my upbringing, and where I came from, it's just what you did. Obviously a lot of my neighbours didn't have my upbringing, but I consider that their loss. :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Sep 2015 16:39

I took a lady in years ago she didn't look well
This was about 2pm on a sunny afternoon
she told me her life story and
then added how she has escaped from somewhere
I couldn't quiet make out where
I was on my own as my Butler was working away with two small children in bed

Turns out what she has escaped from was a secure unit
We ended up with Armed police and ambulances at 11 pm
But she went quietly in the end

OMG it could only happen to me ;-) ;-) ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Sep 2015 17:00

Just to clarify we have seats outside the front of the house too. Added because a FB friend just told me off for inviting a stranger into my house...lolol

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2015 17:40

We live 'out of the way' but have had ambulances turn up. They wanted a house on the main road, but the sat nav sent them down our Close. The house in question was only about 100 yards away, just not here!

Rather than be accosted by unwell strangers, they used to have a tendency to fall at my feet.
The elderly gent looking decidedly grey.
The elderly lady who tripped and fell - think she broke her wrist
Young girl who fainted
The Polish man collapsed in a doorway

Perhaps it's time to up date my first aid knowledge!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Sep 2015 18:25

Are you jinxed, Det?

The last few callers we've had have produced a card saying that they were recently-released convicts and have a variety of small items to sell in order to raise funds.

I've pointed them to another suburb as there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of them getting anything out of most people in this suburb. I can't understand who's sending them to this suburb and if they've been given advice the adviser needs to give his/her head a shake. They need an adviser with more savvy.