General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mattress scam

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2015 09:33

Just had this warning from another website

I just want to warn people about scam mattress sellers operating in the Gloucester area. This is a well known scam - just Google mattress and scam. My 86 yr old father was scammed today. He was approached when gardening at the front of his house in Longlevens. A lorry pulled up with `Beds 4 U` on it from Birmingham. The driver said that he had been fitting beds locally all weekend and had a couple of mattresses left and would my dad like one for £200 as he didn`t want to take them all the way back to the depot. He showed my dad a kingsize mattress which looked really nice, brand new, memory foam topper, made in the UK, RRP£999 label on. My dad said no initially but was given the hard sell and the driven to the cashpoint to get the man £200! He has been left with a mattress which is at the most worth £50 according to the info on the internet, and poorly made. I cannot trace a company called beds 4 u from Birmingham and according to info on the web the lorries are signed up with fictitious bed company names. My dad was left very shaken and upset after this horrible incident and £200 poorer; money he cannot afford to loose. I would just like to warn everyone that Gloucester is being targeted. If anyone sees a White lorry/van with Beds 4 U, Birmingham would you please get the reg no.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Sep 2015 12:44

One of these vans turned up here Ann, must be 3/4 years ago now, I think one of the neighbours bought one but can't be sure... certainly the line about 'having a couple left' was the same. :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Sep 2015 13:21

There is some right scumbags abou
t The poor old guy :-( :-(

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Sep 2015 13:33

A couple of years ago (well more than a couple,LOL) I was accosted by a suit salesman in a Sainsbury's car park...........

Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Sep 2015 14:27

And Bob...... Did you buy one?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Sep 2015 14:49

I wonder whether CCTV around the cashpoint might have captured the number plate on the lorry?

whether this is really 'fraud' may be a question ... but representing something as having RRP£999 when that is false sounds like a consumer fraud that police might look into since it is a widespread phenomenon

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 8 Sep 2015 15:26

I under stand they are old mattress's with a new cover.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Sep 2015 18:09

No Ann, I didn't, he would have "been hard pressed" to have one my shape, methinks........

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Sep 2015 04:48

I hope the police were called, taking elderly vulnerable people to cashpoints is not right nor is ripping them off like that.

Lizx